On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 4:01 AM, Shlomi Fish <shlo...@shlomifish.org> wrote:
> To everybody who are concerned,

> 1. That Derek will get his act together and return to me. (Requires
> cooperation
> from Derek).
>
> 2. That I'll be given co-maint for Text::MediawikiFormat on CPAN. (Requires
> cooperation from the CPAN admins).

It seems unlikely that you would be denied co-maintainership from the
CPAN admins based on the length of time it's taken to get anything to
happen, and the fact that the module's author already mentioned he
would be willing to grant co-maintainership.

> 3. That I fork Text::MediawikiFormat under a different name (say
> Text::MediawikiFormat::Butter - a play on ::ButMaintained).

4. Upload your patched module under the same name.  It will show up as
an unofficial release.  Place in the README as well as somewhere in
the POD that this unofficial release fixes x, y, and z, and that it
was uploaded after you were unable to get a response from the author
on the issues.

This may seem anti-social, but it is more helpful to the community at
large than uploading the module under a different name.  The rationale
is that if the author ever does absorb the patches and upload a new
version, there will only be one module for people to choose from, not
two that are 98% identical but with slightly different names, and
divergent development histories.

CPAN admins first, unofficial upload second... it sort of forces the hand.

--

David Oswald
daosw...@gmail.com