Hi, I'm looking for some help from developers who write Perl modules. My
research group is interested in the different choices new package managers
and repositories are making when designing their ecosystems. Newer
packaging and modules systems like Node.js/NPM, Google's go language,
Python's PyPI, are making very different design choices from each other,
and they are very different (and probably informed by) older packaging
systems like CPAN. We'd like to know what the impact of those design
choices are on how you negotiate breaking changes among CPAN module
developers when the packages depend on each other. We're also interested in
what values you think CPAN's design is trying to optimize.

Could I ask people to take ~20 minutes of your time and fill out our survey
at http://breakingapis.org/survey? I'll report back to the Perl community
when we've analyzed the results (or there's a sign up link to be notified
when results are out at http://breakingapis.org).

(If you don't develop Perl modules, but do use NPM, PyPI, Hackage, or
something else, we're still interested -- just make a different "software
ecosystem" choice on the first page. The study is a comparison among
ecosystems; CPAN is one point of comparison).

Thank you,

Chris Bogart
Institute for Software Research
Carnegie Mellon University