I believe, the CPAN/authors/id/ directory needs a gentle cleanup.
Currently there is no simple algorithm to generate the directory of an
author from the userid. The only way to find out that JHI has the
directory JHI/ is by trying which of JHI/ and J/JH/JHI/ exists.

It would be a simple job to make the transition with backwards
compatibility like so (tested):

  use File::Path qw(mkpath);
  opendir DIR, "."; # from authors/id
  for (readdir DIR){
    next if /^\./ or length($_)==1;
    my $targ = substr($_,0,1) . "/" . substr($_,0,2);
    mkpath $targ;
    rename $_, "$targ/$_";
    symlink "$targ/$_", $_;
  }

But that will cause a huge avalanche of mirror traffic (both for
mirror and rsync). So I suppose we'd have a sleep 3600 after each loop
so that the job takes 12 days until all 290 directories are relocated.

The question is: do you see any other problems I am not seeing? Is
sleep 3600 OK? Is the whole idea sound? If nobody has objections, I'll
start tomorrow by relocating my own directory, wait a week and if no
problems are reported run the job with the sleep 3600. Otherwise,,,

Opinions?

--
andreas