On Monday 08 July 2002 12:48, Tim Bunce wrote:
> > On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Robin Berjon wrote:
> > > Applications of XML often tend to go directly under the XML::
> > > namespace.
>
> Be careful here... The XML namespace should be reserved for modules
> where manipulating XML is the primary purpose. *Applications of XML*
> to a specific problem (like Job Control :) should *not* go into the
> XML namespace. Of course, that distinction can be a fine one sometimes.

What I meant (unfortunately not very clearly) but "applications" are
vocabularies used as such. That is, things like SVG, XHTML, XSLT, etc where
the fact that they are XML is an integral part of the technology. Obviously,
something that just happens to use XML doesn't fit there :)

> I notice the text above says "The TEI specification is quite large"
> (implying possibly more modules over time) and "the TEILite
> specification that is based on XML" (implying there are non-XML
> aspects to it).

I admit to having judged this almost only on this specific module which is a
DOM wrapper/extension in a way similar to the way in which, say, the SVG DOM,
wraps/extends the Core DOM.

> Given those points, and that the Text Encoding Initiative is a "big
> thing" ("adopted by libraries and electronic document centers")
> I'd go with a new top-level namespace: TEI.

Part of what motivated my answer was that "TEILite" didn't seem appropriate
as it is itself a subsection of TEI. What would you think of TEI::Lite then?

--
Robin Berjon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -- for hire: http://robin.berjon.com/
  Learn from your parents mistakes - use birth control.