Title: 5 requests for assistance...

Hi,

I am fairly new to mon, but come to it from an infrastructure standpoint (i.e. I am NOT a perl person but am pretty good with systems...)

I initially set up mon (and MRTG) to monitor our switches/routers etc and used monshow to show the basic information and MRTG to show the stats of the network kit. - this works fine!

I have been tasked to widen the scope of mon to include the oracle databases (on aix) the m$sql databases (on nt) and various other services. I initially refused citing "jobsworth" area of responsibilities etc, and got the reply - do it anyway!

I am a bit stuck. I have read through the man pages, searched through the mailing list and there doesn't seem to be a set much help on how to check the database connections. To make it a bit more complicated, the NMS I am using is an old sun ultra 5 with suse linux 7.1 on it. (so intel rpm's are out) I don't really want to install Oracle on it (in order to get the perl oracle module to work) or to get sqlnet or tnsping installed.

1. I am a bit confused on how to get the msql-mysql.monitor to work. The actual file infers putting --mode hostname but how does it fit into a mon.cfg file???

I have:

Hostgroup mssql_server 10.10.10.10
watch mssql_server
        service [what_should_go_in_here]
        description M$SQL
        interval 5m
        monitor msql-mysql.monitor [with any options here???]

2. The Oracle side has me stumped. The sqlconn.monitor that comes with mon seems to want Oracle installed locally - any way around this??

3. Another issue that has me a bit stumped, is if I want to monitor a range of workstations - is this possible? Ideally an IP address with a qualifying subnet mask.

4. Is there a list of services that can be called from within the mon.cfg? I guess it must be somewhere but I haven't come across it yet...

5. Additionally has anyone got any tips on using the ntservice.monitor? I have an eval copy of the empire SNMP s/w running on a test NT box, I can use snmpwalk to get the response from the box, but can't get the ntservice.monitor to communicate with it. If I try and run it independantly on the command line, I get "no such file or directory"

Any assistance gratefully received on any of these points.

Regards

Simon

This electronic message transmission contains information that is deemed confidential or privileged by
the sender. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named as recipient(s)
above, only. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use
of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error,
please notify us by telephone (303-397-8100) or by electronic mail([EMAIL PROTECTED]) immediately.