On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 07:02:39PM +0200, Oliver Thieke wrote:
> Hi out there at the screens !
>
> I want to set up a monitoring of a bunch of Solaris server
> using one of the OpenSource Monitoring Tools available (MON,
> BigSister, Nagios).  I browsed already some articles and the
> online docu of the 3 packages.  Nonetheless I cannot decide
> yet which one to choose.  MON and Nagios (formely known as
> NetSaint) seem to be most promising.
> It would be nice to hear about your experiences with those
> two tools.
> Which one would you choose ?

The company was using Netsaint when I started working for them.
When a moment came to upgrade Netsaint I found mon, tried it and never
went back to Netsaint.

> Why ?

Netsaint configuration is horrible compared to clean and nice text
file generated with m4 in mon

Netsaint requires software to be installed on a client side, it
consumes resources of a client. Mon requires nothing on the client
side.

> Any traps to be aware of ?

No that I am aware of.

> MON seems to be easier to install and configure. Furthermore
> it's all written in PERL, a language I'm quite familiar with.
> On the other hand the Web-GUI of Nagios looks nicer and
> provides more and better arranged info.

It's a matter of preference. To me, netsaint looks bloated with
it's GUIs. (But I must admit, I am not a GUI guy, I come
from command line school)

mon.cgi provides just enough of information and control that I need.

> But Nagios seems to be much harder to install (must compile)
> and to configure.
>
> Finally I MUST write some custom monitors (checks) and this
> seems to be easier (and better documented) in MON.

Very true. When I needed to monitor login to a web site, it took me
less than an hour to write my own monitor.

I enjoy using mon very much and just want to thank Jim and
all contributors for a great product!

--
Konstantin 'Kastus' Shchuka
Unix System Administrator