On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, David Nolan wrote:

> I appear to have found a solution to my problem.  I started running mon
> under 'perl -w' to look for problems, and found *lots* of undefined values
> being used.  I've modified every one of them to have a defined $foo check
> as well, and suddenly the memory footprint of my running mon system has
> gone from 200M to 8M.

in the past we've seen a number of memory leaks, mostly from perl modules.
also, we've stumbled on a couple bugs in perl, particularly a bug in
the regex lib, which would cause mon to crash under some circumstances.

fwiw, this isn't a problem on perl 5.005_03 w/mon 0.99.1. the mon process
on one of our servers over here has been running since april 1st of this
year and the RSS is under 8mb.

i've deliberately not used the -w switch in the past because it complained
about superfluous problems.