On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, David Nolan wrote:

> > fwiw, this isn't a problem on perl 5.005_03 w/mon 0.99.1. the mon process
> > on one of our servers over here has been running since april 1st of this
> > year and the RSS is under 8mb.
> >

> What operating system/version?

redhat linux 6.1 / kernel 2.2.18

> But on this linux system, with perl 5.6.1, linux 2.4.18, and libc 2.1.3,
> the problem was pretty bad.  (Mon was taking 2-3 minutes to start, or
> process a reset request, because perl was spending so much time doing
> memory mismanagement)

> Don't take this wrong, but an argument could be made that perl -w doesn't
> complain about superfluous problems, but complains about bad programming.
> (using $foo{bar} when $foo{bar} doesn't exist in the hash, for example)

yeah, well -w carps on this:

    my %h;

    die if ($h{"stuff"} ne "" );

there's nothing wrong with that code, imo. however, to make -w happy,
you have to re-write it like this:

    my %h;

    if (exists $h{"stuff"})
    {
        die if ($h{"stuff"} ne "" );
    }

doesn't seem like it's worthwhile, just to make -w happy.

i do agree that in some cases this particular carp may point out some
actual coding mistakes. when you made these changes, did you happen
to find any bugs because of -w?