--On Tuesday, November 09, 2004 5:32 PM -0800 Konstantin 'Kastus' Shchuka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 01:52:32PM -0800, Michael Vogt wrote:

I am planning to monitor some application servers on a datacenter with a custom monitor plugin. I want to have another monitor running at a remote location to monitor the main monitor at the datacenter (and vice-versa). It looks like I should use mon traps in heartbeat mode. How do I create the heartbeats.

Why can't you use mon.monitor?

It does not require any heartbeat, it just does what you are
asking for, monitor mon at the other location.

Both approaches are valid, and test different things. I currently use mon.monitor to test my multiple mon servers from each other, but mon.monitor only verifies that the remote mon processes is processing client requests. Adding a heartbeat service where the monitor script sends a trap is actually something I hadn't thought of before.

I like the idea. It would verify that your mon server processes are successfully queing monitor processes. I've actually had a failure mode in my system at one point where everything looked fine except some percentage of my mon scripts hadn't been run in days. It turned out that my mon server was constantly throttling the number of running processes, due to its configuration, and was running *way* behind. This approach would probably have detected that problem.

Michael Vogt wrote:

OK. I found remote.alert which sends a trap. So I could modify this, or maybe use it, as is, associated with a failalways.monitor to trigger it.

Still not sure if I'd be badly reinventing a wheel. Is there a clean
proven way allready implemented?

Same thing for the configuration stab. Is there a working example?

Using remote.alert as a base would work reasonably. Or if you're willing to wait a day or so, I think I'm going to try to implement this for my system, and I'd be happy to post the script I use and the resulting config blocks as well.

-David

David Nolan                    <*>                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
curses: May you be forced to grep the termcap of an unclean yacc while
     a herd of rogue emacs fsck your troff and vgrind your pathalias!