--On Tuesday, February 08, 2005 8:51 PM +0100 "Peter Wirdemo (MO/EMW)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have a question, would it be hard to implement some kind of pseudo
monitor, or does it exist?

Instead of executing new monitors the pseudo monitor only monitors the
result of other monitors or watches.

The pseudo monitor is not an external monitor. It should be implemented
internally in mon "core", since all the data from all other monitors is
in there...

Like the example below, instead of running all monitors again, the pseudo
monitor looks on the result returned by other monitors. The pseudo
monitor should trigger an error if the checked service/watch has failed

Maybe this "feature" is allready possible using the 'depend' feature. If
so, it's obioulsy not clear to me howto! (i'm using depend, only to
supress alerts/monitors)

Maybe not the clearest example, but it's late and I have to go home...

I've thought about doing something along these lines.

I'd do it by adding new service config option "correlate", which would be used instead of a monitor option. The tricky questions are:
How often do we calculate the ok/failed state of this service? Do we still use an interval for that?
What do you do about nesting & dependencies.

I don't think this would be incredibly hard to add, but getting the details right might be tricky.

-David Nolan Network Software Designer Computing Services Carnegie Mellon University