--On Wednesday, February 09, 2005 5:32 PM +0100 "Peter Wirdemo (MO/EMW)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

My simple plan was hacking in 'sub run_monitor' ...but I'm not the one to tell...

Mon should't really know the differens between this monitor and an
external monitor. Thats why I kept the monitor config option. But in some
way tell mon to do the "monitoring" internally instead. i.e checking
values in %watch{...}

If this is possible, all the things about interval, dependencies should
be handled like any other monitor...i.e no change...

Like Harry Moyes told me, this could be implemented using a standard
"external" monitor, using the Mon::Client interface. But one of the goals
was minimizing system resources to do this job. An external monitor is
maybe the cleanest way to solve the problem. I dont know!.

Yeah, the quick and easy approach would be to write a monitor that uses Mon::Clien to query the server for statuses... I wouldn't worry too much about minimizing system resources, unless you're running on old hardware. My primary mon server, which is an almost 2 year old 2.8 Ghz Xeon, is starting to feel a bit overloaded, but I'm running 500,000 tests per day across all my servers, and that machine probably runs 300,000 or more of them...

Long term I think the built in event correlation is a better approach.

-David Nolan
Network Software Designer
Computing Services
Carnegie Mellon University