On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Zack Weinberg <za...@panix.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Timothy Brownawell <tbrow...@prjek.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > Is the occasional backslash really that bad? '%' conflicts with
> urlencoding
> > (and '*' would only actually glob things if you have some really weirdly
> > named files), and '?' is probably necessary for file/ssh sync.
>
> I think it's more important to avoid characters that are meaningful in
> URLs (*especially* %) than to avoid characters that are meaningful to
> the shell.  People expect to have to quote URLs.  Also, I don't like /
> as a separator when it's not traversing a directory-like hierarchy.

Agreed, on all counts.

> So, how about this?
>
>  protocol://
> u...@server.host.name/path/to/database?include,include,-exclude,-exclude
>
> should work equally well for mtn (with usher), ssh, and file.  Without
> usher, you just leave out the /path part.

+1 (nice and simple)

> (Also, ~ in the path part should absolutely have the 'go to home
> directory' semantic.)

Agreed here too.

This proposal doesn't change the meaning of any URL-special characters which
I think is important. Overloading % + ? = or & would be bad as people
generally know what they mean in the context of a URL. We could consider
using the fragment character # in place of the query string separator
character ? but that's probably splitting hairs. This is a shell-special
character too (for comments) but it doesn't seem to apply if there's
non-whitespace immediately preceding it.

Cheers,
Derek