Very interesting discussion.

I am leaning toward putting a bicolor light above the jib halyard block  on the front 
of the mast, and a combination steaming/stern light set on top of the mast.  The 
steaming  light for motoring would face forward and the stern light, of course, aft.   
 Both lights would be turned on for anchoring.  The rules say the steaming  light must 
be one meter above the red/green sidelights.  It seems to me this bicolor installation 
would be possible on a fractional rigged boat, but obviously not on a mastheaded 
rigged boat. I quote from the "Annapolis Book"�

Boats smaller than 66 feet may carry sidelights on either side of the bow,  in the 
shrouds, or in a single lantern at or near the top of the mast.

I am using the single lantern near the top of the mast definition.  However,  I an not 
a Coast Guard officer.

Perko has a dual lamp steaming/stern light but I do not know if this is legal to use 
as an anchor light.  Model 1196.  Boat US say it may be used as  steaming or 
all-around light, so I assume this means anchor use too.  Is that legal?  Are there 
any other dual lamp fixtures out there?  Maybe something that was actually designed to 
mount on top of a mast rather than a cabin?

My reasoning for doing this is you have to have a light on top of the mast for 
anchoring, and  I would rather have the wiring run only to the mast than to the bow 
and stern as well.  I figure a bicolor lamp above the jib could be seen better than at 
the pulpit.  Plus, there are lots of things that can tangle with or smash a light on 
the pulpit.

I am also thinking of using a combination  masthead/deck light and converting the 
masthead light to a bicolor side light.  Aqua Signal has a Series 25 combination light 
(model 25404-7).  I assume the red/green globe of the bicolor light would interchange 
with the white globe of this combination light.  I figure the deck light  would 
illuminate the jib nicely, if I am about to be run down.  Anybody visiting a marine 
store that can verify this theory?  (Do you need another excuse to go?)

Can anyone point out potential problems for me?

John Edwards mentioned the red over green all-around light on top of the mast.  
�Annapolis� says the red should be one meter above the green.  Lights at the bow, 
stern and red over green on top of the mast would give the maximum visibility, but I 
am at a loss as to how to mount that top red lamp.  Any ideas?

Steve R.
M-15 #119
Lexington, KY

_______________________________________________
montgomery_boats mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to