In a message dated 6/30/02 11:56:50 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Well, my one of my bunk boards has compressed about
, inch and I guess it is time to replace them.

I looked in the archives but didn't find anything.  Do
you have to get the boards to twist before you mount
them or do you let them take a natural set with the
M15 siting on them for a few days?

What is the best process for replacing the original
trailrite bunk boards?

What do you cover them with?

Thanks

Doug Kelch >>

Doug,
While I don't disagree with the responses from other list members, I would 
like to propose a possible alternative.  

As a builder, I have replaced and/or installed a number of decks in the last 
few years using the plastic/wood composite called 'Trex'.  I recently had 
occasion to visit the first Trex deck we installed five years ago, and there 
is absolutely no weathering, marking, shrinkage, splintering, etc., nor have 
I seen any evidence of the material absorbing much, if any, water.  For all 
purposes, the material looks virtually the same as when I installed it--and 
this with no maintenance, sealers, or other care.  Apparently the plastic 
encapsulates the reclaimed wood fibers so that no maintenance is necessary.  
Other than the fact that it has a rather 'distinct' appearance as compared to 
say, redwood or cedar, the only draw backs of using this material for its 
intended purpose are its tendency to expand and contract more than 
conventional lumber (thus we use slightly larger butt joints and edge gaps), 
increased weight, and that it will not span as far as good lumber (which, 
alas, most pressure treated lumber is not).  Trex does have a slight crown 
milled into the tops for drainage.  I have yet to determine whether this is 
enough to warrant planing it flat or no (I suspect not, as it is pretty 
subtle).  It is available in 2x2, 2x4, 2x6 and larger widths (with a 2x4 
netting out at approx. 1-1/2"x3-1/2 inches).  Please note that Trex is very 
different from other plastic/wood or plastic products in that it is solid.  
Some competing products are hollow and/or incorporate ribbing, and as such, 
probably would not be suitable for the bending.

Anyway, I have been threatening to galvanize my Trail-Rite trailer since I 
got it, and I now that I actually have some time (that is to say, fewer 
building projects right now due to the economy), I think I will forge ahead 
and try using Trex in lieu of conventional lumber when I reassemble.  I 
actually suspect that the more flexible nature of the material will be an 
asset in that it will more easily conform to the hull.  I intend to fasten 
only one end of each 'board,' set the boat on the trailer, mark the remaining 
holes relative to the vertical supports, and then fasten them accordingly.

As for bunk covering, both West Marine and Boat U. S. sold bunk carpet the 
last time I checked.  Use Monel or 316 stainless staples, or you will find 
yourself refastening often (especially in salt water).

Scott Grometer, M15 #478 'bebe'

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to