Connie,

Most homeowners policies have a $2,500.00 limit for boat coverage.  Any
sailboat under 26' is provided full liability coverage by your homeowners
policy.  If your boat is worth much more than $2,500.00 you might reconsider
getting a policy on your boat.

Jerry Williams
M 15



----- Original Message -----
From: "Irv Kooris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 5:12 PM
Subject: RE: M_Boats: Surveying M17


> Thanks Connie.
> Irv
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Conbert
> H Benneck
> Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 12:09 PM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: M_Boats: Surveying M17
>
>
> Hi Irv
>
> For another view on the survey question, here are my two bits
> worth.......
>
> If you need a survey for insurance purposes, then you have to get one:
> no survey; no insurance
>
> But then the question arises, why insurance?  Without researching my Home
> Owner's Police, plus my Extended Policy, I think that I am totally
> covered for small craft like a Montgomery 15 or 17, and I certainly am
> not carrying a Marine Insurance Police on a 15 foot boat that weights
> 1000 lbs!  How much damage could  it do to anything else?
> A scratch, maybe, and the cost of removing it would be far less than the
> yearly premium for a policy.
>
> When I sold my Tripp-Lentsch, the buyers had a survey made, and the
> surveyer, just confirmed all that I had told them, but they needed it for
> the Marine Insurance policy.
>
> I had a survey done on a Northeast 38 sailboat that I bought in Hamburg,
> Germany in 1985.  Totally wasted money!
>
> I got a nice report telling me the boats layout; the number of sails;(but
> not their condition); that it had an engine - I knew that (but he didn't
> tell me that it just had had a major overhaul - the sellers told me
> that); how many drawers were in the main cabin, and on and on - with
> photos of the deck, and interior.
>
> When I sailed the boat in Denmark for 5 weeks and then brought it back to
> Hamburg to get small items fixed prior to sailing it back to the States,
> the man doing an Algrip paint job called me to tell me that the hull had
> a severe case of gell coat blistering underwater.
>
> My "good" surveyor, who said in his report how good it was that he could
> examine the boat out of water, totally failed to make any comments about
> hull condition or blistering
>
> Now, I knew what the boat was all about - it's layout; and had a list of
> equipment from the sellers; that's why I wanted to buy it.   Blistering
> in the gell coat sure would have changed my mind about buying it.
>
> I checked if I could sue the surveyer for a lousy job, but he had a
> paragraph in his contract that in effect said ' anything found after the
> survey is conducted is not the responsibility of the surveyor...."
> .....and there I was.
>
> So, his survey was a total waste of money, though I did get some pretty
> pictures.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~
>
> I bought my M15 sight unseen from an owner in Sauselito, CA, with boat at
> Panama City, Florida.
> No regrets:  got a great boat!
>
>
> Connie
>
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to