Well, the cast iron board will be out this winter to rehab it again anyway.
The original paint job was a lot of work and expense, but it held up
well...except for the tip...which was the part that grounded on pea gravel
and oyster shells... Which skinned the paint off. The rest is history. I can
have it hot dip galvanized for about $150 and may do that this time. Then
paint over that. But I don't know if it will take abrasion either.  A bronze
board would be nice...as a minor grounding would not affect it at all.

If one went digging around in the keel (not that I'm going to), what would
you expect to find behind the liner of the trunk...the part that you can see
in the picture. Presumably...it is the glass trunk liner (although something
up inside the trunk looks to be thin plywood), then some type of iron...then
the exterior wall of the keel? Just trying to anticipate what is supposed to
be there, so when I get there and it is different, I'll know I have a bigger
problem.

Thanks for helping out on this. Not many makers of anything would even talk
to you about something they haven't seen in almost 25 years.

Howard
M17, #278

On 9/19/02 11:09 AM, "Jerry Montgomery" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yes, a mess!  I would take out the board, grind the keel down to solid
> glass, make sure that everything is dry, and re-glass, using EPOXY resin.
> 
> Jerry
> -


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to