Hi Tod,

My thoughts and feelings on boat show boat visits also.

I used to go to Newport, RI and poke about.  

Some of the layouts are ridiculous.  Like a 40 footer with a 5 foot
diameter steering wheel.  The sail lockers had cutouts so that the wheel
would fit.  .....but the sail lockers were so short that if the Admirable
wanted to stretch out, her legs had to go through the steering
wheel..........??????  May be fine for racing, but for normal cruising
and enjoyment.......?????  As Captain, I don't want legs sticking through
my wheel limiting movement if I have to take sudden evasive action.  

Or when I asked how you get to the engine, on a 38 footer cutter, the
eager salesman said, "It's easy.......  let me show you."  and he then
proceeded to unload the port sail locker.  First a foot-locker type tray
was removed that went on the starboard sail locker: then fenders; lines;
sail bags; etc. etc.  came out of the cavernous sail locker until the
whole cockpit was filled with "stuff".  Then he climbed into the sail
locker, took out a screwdriver and undid about 6 screws to remove a
plywood panel.  Then he showed it to me.  "See how easy it is to get at
the engine......."

I just shook my head in disbelief.  Can you picture a clogged fuel
filter:  a sloppy seaway; and then go through this routine to just get to
the fuel filter?  

Either the designer was asleep:  the builder was cutting corners and
costs; or neither had ever sailed in the real world.

But it sure broadens your horizon as to how much junk is out there. 
Maybe that is the reason why the inexperienced people buy one boat after
another:  with each one they learn a little bit more about what is really
useful and what is not.

Such as the 20 footer that sleeps 6.........   .......or the dog that
won't go to windward.

Connie



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to