Thanks, Martin!!!  I think there's my answer:  Leave the skeg alone!  Yours is a 
sobering story.  I appreciate
your input.  I'm sailing out of Lake Macatawa on Lake Michigan in Holland, MI:  I'd 
love to trailer the Monty
to MN sometime . . .  --Craig

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2003 12:09 AM
Subject: Older M17 Skeg

Hi!
I know from first hand experience that the skeg is not solid and is open
into the keel on my 1976 M-17.  Water leaking in my bottom gudgeon bolt made
its way down via the transom (some sort of core was present in the '76) into
the skeg and came to rest in the keel with out penetrating above the liner
or showing itself in the boat.
I recommend drilling right through the solid part of the hull instead.  At
least if that ever leaked, it would leak above the liner so you would notice
it and hopefully it would stay out of your keel.  My keel held more than 10
gallons of water before I finally made repairs and pumped it out.
I'm hoping you're installing side scan sonar.
best of luck!
come to duluth! the summer is here!
Martin
p.s. I saw a white M-15 getting rescued by the coast guard last sunday.  A
crewman was apparently bailing through the port side locker as the boat was
lashed to the side of an orange 30' RIB.  I'm guessing that they were
knocked down and their cockpit locker fell open.




_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to