Will "heaving to" work in heavy wind?

----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2003 11:01 AM
Subject: Push, pull, push, pull.....

Hi Rusty,

Glad to hear you had a successful Baptismal sail.  With growing
familiarity, and confidence, it just keeps getting better and
better..................

To heave to you need the jib.  First you sheet in the jib; then tack so
that the jib is back winded in it's sheeted position.

Now tie off the tiller to counteract the effect of the jib, and there you
are, sitting quietly and peacefully, making some leeway, but most
comfortably.

By playing with the tiller position, you will quickly find the optimum
tiller position for minimum leeway.

Jib halyard:

Mine is a rope halyard, so when I drop the jib, I can use the down haul
to secure it to the deck.

My main halyard was a combined rope / wire halyard, but I have re rigged
it to be an all rope halyard.

The main reasons were:

I am no longer limited in travel by the eyes in the wire hitting the
sheaves:  Gives me greater flexibility controlling the main.

It rides better in the masthead sheaves.

I can end-for-end it when it wears.

Connie




_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to