You know what Connie, I was just yesterday thinking that what you suggest regarding 
the position of the sheaves appeared to be the problem.  

Because the sheaves are positioned too close together in the masthead casting, the 
halyard fouls and chafes on the forward side of the mast (it leads better to the 
mainsail head board off the aft side, but it still isn't sufficient).  Seems like a 
design flaw because I don't think the problem can be corrected any way other than the 
action you took.  Did moving the holes create any clearance problems?  I'm sure you 
thought of this, but could you have achieved the desired result with a larger dia. 
sheave?

By the way, can you supply the specs and/or supplier of your new mast?  Thanks. t 



Tom Smith & Jane Van Winkle
Sandpoint, Idaho
M15-345, Chukar
M17-064, Unnamed





-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 7:45 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: M_Boats: M15 masthead sheaves


Hi Tom,

When I had to rebuilt my new mast last year, I used the old mast top
fitting with the two sheaves.

On my old mast, the wire halyard had been rubbing on the forward side,
because the sheave wasn't located properly.

Since I used the old mast top fitting on the new mast, my first job was
to relocate the sheaves.

Luckily, I have an aircraft parts shop I work with, so they welded the
old holes closed, and then I drilled new holes for the sheaves that were
further apart; i.e., the halyard now was completely clear of the top edge
of the mast on both the forward and aft sides.  No more chafe!

At the same time I converted the main halyard to an all rope halyard.

Connie 

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


This message was scanned for viruses!!


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to