Connie,
First, thank you for the kind words.  Second, your magnificent essay on the 
Istrian coast accomplished its intended goal--I am indeed envious of your 
experiences there.  You had posted an earlier essay (maybe a year ago?) about this 
region, and I was totally captivated.  You really ought to write a book on 
these and other experiences.  I may just have to take the Flicka there someday (I 
wanted to do the French canals anyway).

You really should consider hauling your M15 to the Pacific Northwest some 
summer.  You could hit the Great Lakes, Glacier National Park, etc., on your way, 
and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.  As a bonus, you can put car/boat 
on the ferry and head up to Alaska for some really spectacular scenery 
(Glacier Bay is only a day or two from Juneau).

Sorry about the late response.  It has been over 80 degrees here (Northern 
California) for almost two weeks, and I have been 'making hay' (working long 
hours) while it lasts.  I understand that the right coast has received the oppos
ite treatment.  Weird weather!

I'll look forward to your next installment on European cruising!

Scott

In a message dated 3/11/04 12:26:29 PM, 
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>Hi Scott,
>
>What a beautiful dissertation you wrote on cruising in the Northwest.
>
>The problem is, with your descriptions - including watching out for bears
>- you make me extremely jealous that I am located so far away from such
>a
>wonderful cruising area, and probably will never be able to experience
>it.
>
>As a tit for tat response, let me tell you about cruising along the
>Istrian coast in Yugoslavia, on the Adriatic.  No bears (four legged
>kind), but lost of bares - (two legged kind)  encountered everywhere. 
>The Adriatic bares exhibit a remarkable range of natural coloring of
>their skin.   (As a naturalist I observe these things)  It goes from
>milky white to a scarlet red, and is particularly noticeable in areas
>that the "bares" usually have covered when they are in their winter
>habitat.
>
>Think dulcet breezes:  steep too rocky shores; rocky islets with tiny
>villages - no provisions; no fuel; no water - but almost everyone at
>these villages plays a guitar and can sing in four part harmony.  That
>
>is the way it is done every evening since there is no electricity and
>therefore no television (radio) on these islands.
>
>Distances between islands are short; never any fog, no reefs, no extreme
>tidal flows, but look out for the Bora.  
>
>The Bora is a wind that sweeps down out of the Alps across the northern
>Adriatic and is like a young hurricane.  Think flushing an old top tank
>toilet.  At the right moment someone pulls the chain:  the winds drop
>down from the cold heights of the Alps, accelerating all the way downhill
>and hitting the northern Adriatic area.  
>
>I experience it once in Pula and stood anchor watch all night long (the
>Danforth held) and the next morning as I hauled it up - in a flat calm,
>of course, - my wife  wanted to kiss it.  She suddenly had a totally
>different feeling for the shape of an anchor and what an anchor
>represented.
>
>In Pula there is a Roman amphitheater - in far better shape than the one
>in Rome.  The whole Adriatic area was a Roman vacation area, and
>everywhere you go you are treading on the same cobblestone streets used
>by Roman Legionnaires over 2000 years ago.
>
>.........and if you tire of the beauty and solitude in the Yugoslavian
>islands, you just head West  across the Adriatic again for about 40 NM
>and land at Venice.  Good food, good wine;  history; great art.........
>
>What more could you want?
>
>But I'd sure like to sail in your lovely area, .......sigh!
>
>Connie

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to