Hi Scott,

I don't know the dimensions of the Flicka, but if you have luck, some
bear grease, and a big shoe horn you just might fit the Flicka into a 20
foot container for shipment to Europe and ensuing European adventures.

Does the Flicka have a small one lung diesel installed?  This would be
the ideal situation for your travels.

Everywhere in Europe diesel fuel is the only thing available on
waterways, and harbors.  Reason:  diesel is tax free for
shipping.............  Gasoline is only used in cars and today is costing
about the same in dollars for a liter of gasoline as we pay for a gallon
- i.e. the European gasoline price is about 4 times as high as our price
is............!

ChrisCraft showed up in France selling American powerboats (2 x Chevy
gasoline engines) about '65.  Lots of people bought them because of the
gee-whiz factor, but they were all being sold at big discounts, or
converted to diesel engines - sedate displacement operation, within 2
years..............!  With gasoline costing (then ) over $2.00 a
gallon...........  nobody could afford to run the things...........

Someone at ChrisCraft sure didn't do his homework...............!

I had an Atomic 4 in my Tripp-Lentsch, and when I needed gasoline the
natives in Italy or Yugoslavia would point me to the automobile gas
station at the edge of town (95 degrees F; not a cloud in the sky; 2
kilometers each way carrying 5 gallon jerry cans).................

So to solve that problem I bought an Italian  Benelli fold-up little
motorcycle.  It fit in my sail locker; could be lifted into the dinghy
and onto the quay where I would unfold the handlebars; open the breather
on the crankcase oil breather - and the gas cap, and away I'd
go.............  The motorized dinghy for land use!

So, diesel is the only way to go if you want to play in French, Dutch or
Belgian canals or head across the Adriatic to explore Yugoslavia.

The Yugoslavians have built a number of marinas since the last time I was
there (hard currency from all the Germans keeping their boats there) so
maybe buying gasoline isn't the problem it was when I sailed there.

But even so, almost every boat built in Europe is diesel
powered..........., and the only gasoline used is for an outboard.

Start dreaming;  I'll help with the details!

Connie

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to