Good advice, thanks all.  ----L. M-15 hull #189

-----Original Message-----
From: doug [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 11:57 AM
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
Subject: Re: M_Boats: M15 and Centerboard Question


Larry
I went through a similar experience this spring after purchasing my m-15 in
January. The boat had not been sailed for 3 or 4 years and when I got it
home to Nebraska from Houston, the board would not deploy. I took it to the
local sailboat shop with a hoist and lifted the aft end to try to pry the
board out. It turned out that the 4 little nuts holding the main sheet block
to the plank above the drain had backed off and washed into the drain  and
therefore the center board trunk. As you well know, the space between the
board and the trunk is next to nill. After much prying and cussing we got
the nuts out and the board deployed. A few weeks later, I left the boat
uncovered on the trailer one night and it rained. The next time out the
board would not deploy. After 2 or 3 hours in the water, whatever was
binding in the trunk was flushed out and the board deployed. I now keep the
boat covered or in the garage at all times and also fashioned a screen cover
for the drain. Anything that does find itself in the cockpit and washed down
the drain gets caught by the screen. I agree with Bob, the first thing I
would try would be to sail it and hope after awhile the board will deploy.
Actually, I was amazed at how well it sailed without the board deployed. If
after an afternoon on the water the board still doesn't deploy then look for
someone/someplace with a lift/hoist. Also you might want to get underneath
and try a preasure sprayer. You Don't actually have to have that much room.
Have fun and be careful. I also tied a knot about a 1/2 inch before full
deployment so the board sits on the knot and not the CB pin. I don't know if
this affects performance or is a silly precaution but I feel better not
having it ride on the pin. Have fun Doug
--- Bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You might try putting her in the water first.
> Sometimes the water will lubricate the board and
> loosen up
> those nesting mud dobbers.
> 
> Bob
> 
> Hughston, Larry wrote:
> 
> >Bob, I have tried that but it appears frozen after
> four years of disuse by
> >the previous owner.  I think will have to lift the
> boat off the trailer
> >entirely and work on it (safely) in that condition.
>  -----L    M-15 hull #
> >189
> >
> >-----Original Message-----
> >From: Bob [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 8:24 AM
> >To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
> >Subject: Re: M_Boats: M15 and Centerboard Question
> >
> >
> >Larry
> >You should be able to pull the centerboard line and
> ' bump' the board up a
> >bit while on the trailer. Bump it up and down about
> 1/4  inch.
> >
> >Hughston, Larry wrote:
> >
> >  
> >
> >>Brian, On my M-15 I have not yet tested to see if
> the centerboard
> >>drops.  I just got this M-15 a few weeks ago and
> needs some minor but
> >>time consuming work before I launch.  My question
> is, should I be
> >>concerned about visible rust coming through the
> gelcoat at the
> >>centerboard pin?  Is this replaceable or should I
> not worry about it?
> >>This Monty has been in a good deal of salt water
> in the San Diego area by
> >>    
> >>
> >the previous owner.
> >  
> >
> >>Thanks for any information on this.  Larry, hull #
> 189, Sacramento.
> >>
> >>-----Original Message-----
> >>From: Brian Ripley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >>Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 2:55 AM
> >>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; For and about
> Montgomery Sailboats
> >>Subject: Re: M_Boats: M15 and Centerboard Question
> >>
> >>
> >>I replaced mine while anchored.  It took a few
> dives, with nothing more
> >>than a face mask, but wasn't too difficult. It
> would have been even
> >>easier if I had realized early on that the end of
> the rope needed to be
> >>decored in order to get it to fit in the hole in
> the centerboard.
> >>
> >>Brian Ripley
> >>'88 M15
> >>Roseville, CA
> >>
> >>--- Jobst Vandrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> 
> >>
> >>    
> >>
> >>>How does one inspect and change the painter on
> the M15's centerboard?
> >>>
> >>>Can this be done on the trailer, or does it
> require use of a travel
> >>>lift.
> >>>
> >>>Thanks for any insights
> >>>
> >>>Jobst
> >>>   
> >>>
> >>>      
> >>>
> >>
> >>            
> >>__________________________________
> >>Do you Yahoo!?
> >>Yahoo! Mail - Helps protect you from nasty
> viruses.
> >>http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
> >>
> >>_______________________________________________
>
>>http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> >>
> >>_______________________________________________
>
>>http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> >>
> >> 
> >>
> >>    
> >>
> >_______________________________________________
>
>http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> >
> >_______________________________________________
>
>http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> >
> >  
> >
> _______________________________________________
>
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> 



        
                
__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Vote for the stars of Yahoo!'s next ad campaign!
http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/yahoo/votelifeengine/

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to