Good comments, Dick. Thanks. I wasn't aware that Ida Sailor made a rudder
that fit the M17. What model did you get and what modifications did you
have to make to mount it? One thing that has made me reluctant to go with
the kick up rudder is the "spongy / flexing" feel. How's the Ida Sailor?
Does it feel nearly as solid as the original?
Larry

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 06:03:35 -0800 (PST) Dick Straubel
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Sail my M17 in the Caloosahatchee between Fort Myers and Cape Coral, 
> Florida --  lots of submergered boulders left over after channels 
> were blasted.  Older rudder was real trouble here.  Running it 
> aground on sand was OK, but running into a boulder at full speed has 
> a way of doing real structural damage to the transom.  
>  
> Bought an aftermarket rudder from Ida Sailor.  It kicks up, but the 
> leading edge does not extend forward under the transom.  The thing 
> works great.
>  
> I always figured that true rudder "balance" was a product of sail 
> trim, not rudder design.  Steering with a rudder involves dragging 
> the rudder throught the water sideways, regardless of rudder design 
> and the nature of the feeddback transmitted to the tiller.  When the 
> rudder feels "draggy," it is giving me valuable feedback that tells 
> me something is wrong with my sail trim.  When I fix the sail trim, 
> I am dealing with the source of the problem, not the symptom.  The 
> boat sails faster and sweeter.
>  
> Jerry, if you are out there reading this, thank you again for my 
> wonderful M17 #259.  I have had her for ten years now -- sailed her 
> in Door County Wisconsin for seven years and am now sailing her in 
> FL.  You and Lyle did it right.
> 
> Larry E Yake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This question is for Jerry or anyone who has experience with both 
> the old
> style M17 rudder with the "stepped forward" leading edge below the 
> hull,
> and the newer style "straight edge" raiseable rudder.
> 
> I have the older style and am in the process of refinishing and 
> resealing
> it. The seam between the main body of the rudder and the attached 
> leading
> edge portion (with 3 - 1/2" wood dowels) had opened and was 
> allowing
> moisture into the wood. In order to reseal it, I have removed it to 
> clean
> the surfaces. I am wondering if this would be a good time to convert 
> it
> to the raiseable "straight edge" type. It has been an inconvenience 
> a few
> times not being able to raise the rudder, but it is my understanding 
> that
> the "stepped forward" rudder was the original Lyle Hess design to 
> better
> balance the helm. It certain is well balanced. My question is how 
> much
> balance would I lose going to the newer design?
> 
> Thanks,
> Larry Yake
> M17, #200
> Tullamore
> 
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> 
>                 
> ---------------------------------
> Do you Yahoo!?
>  Yahoo! Search presents - Jib Jab's 'Second Term'
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> 
> 

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to