> Subject: RE: M_Boats: Lowering of Mast with Roller Furler
>
> I use two different methods to raise/lower the mast with the furler
attached on my M15.  The best is to have someone  hold on to the drum as
the mast is raised or lowered.  The method I use when alone is to attach a
bungee cord between the drum and the bow cleat.  This keeps tension on the
whole assembly.  It would be a good idea to wrap the drum in towel or
something like that though.  (my wife made a cover for the drum out of two
layers heavy cloth with a piece of 1/4" closed cell foam as insulation
inside).
 I attach the forestay to the mast hound with a "modified" push button
quick release pin.  I drilled two small holes at the outward end of the
barrel and insert a small hitch pin for extra security.  
>
> Don Haas
> M15-248 Dream Catcher
>
>
> > [Original Message]
> > From: John L. Gonzalez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To: <[email protected]>
> > Date: 2/14/2005 8:29:16 PM
> > Subject: M_Boats: Lowering of Mast with Roller Furler
> >
> > I took folks' (Craig and Rik) counsel, and mounted fairleads on my M-15
for
> > my CDI's furling line.
> >
> > What's the best way to raise and lower the mast with the roller furler?
Tie
> > the drum up loosely at the bow pulpit?  When I lowered my mast
yesterday,
> > the drum went over the side and scraped along the ground, while the
head of
> > it twisted alot at the mast hound.
> >
> > Also, do you use a clevis pin and cotter ring to mate the top of the
> > forestay to the mast hound, or do you use a quick release pin?
> >
> > I was planning on using quick release pins (thumb actuated with two ball
> > locks, one opposite of the other), instead of clevis pins and cotter
rings,
> > to mate the sidestays and forestay to the chainplates.  Any counsel to
the
> > contrary?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > John G.
> > M-15/Bella (628)
> > La Jolla, CA
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to