Bob,

I had some glass work done on Busca (cockpit bulkhead instrument holes
filled, sink and knotmeter thru-hulls filled) and the guy did a super job
and matched the gelcoat perfectly.

I've seen repair work that included duplicating sections of non-skid
patterns that were even indiscernible with close inspection.   That's skill.

Unless doing enough of it to warrant the practice (and practice makes
perfect), it's probably a whole lot less aggravating to just have a pro do
it if you want it to *really look good*.  If less than perfection is okay,
then the tube of air-dry stuff isn't bad at all.

*******

To de-core  the centerboard pendant, you just slide the cover braid back to
expose the core (start with a raw end, not a melted end), clip off the core
the desired amount (enough to thread the cover braid into the board and tie
a knot in it), then slide the cover braid back down and seal-melt the end of
it to prevent fraying.  Piece of cake.

Tod
M17 #408
BuscaBrisas

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Bob Olson
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2005 12:01 PM
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
Subject: Re: M_Boats: Gel Coat Matching


Bill, From what I've been able to glean from various websites regarding 
gelcoat, is that its primarily a production process material. In other 
words, it works best when sprayed into a mold as the first layer in the 
production process before the layers of fiberglass. I have a feeling 
that it would be difficult to replicate the original gelcoat look by 
applying it over a hull repair. And, I'm guessing that it would need to 
be covered in order to cure properly. Typically, a boat shop would spray 
a water soluable material over the gelcoat as a final step. After the 
gelcoat had cured, then the top layer would be washed off.

That's why I'm leaning toward a linear polyurathane (sp?) product. More 
expensive than cocaine, but it sounds as though it's the right product 
for post production repairs.

How the hell do you de-core part of a rope for a centerboard pendant? 
That's the thing that got me boggled right now.

--Bob

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>In a message dated 4/17/2005 12:08:11 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>West System believes that you can put gelcoat over their epoxy.
>Bob,
>I was about to go buy another book when I had the right one all along (West

>System Boat Repair & Maintenance). The book is inexpensive, around $3.00.
On 
>page 8 it refers to the steps needed to use gelcoat over epoxy. Looks like
my 
>little projects will be fine with the use of epoxy only. No need to use 
>polyester resin for the small hole repairs I've got in mind. However, they
do 
>recommend a long epoxy cure time of two weeks prior to putting on the
gelcoat finish.
>Bill
>"Tipperary"
>_______________________________________________
>http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>
>
>  
>



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to