Thanks Bob. I think black is a good idea. I think maybe I'll just leave it primered--like a '51 Merc.

Although, I might even have to embed a flame on both sides. Or some shark teeth. Decisions, decisions.

--Bob Olson

Bob wrote:

Hi Bob

I wouldn't worry about the color match on a centerboard; only one that's gonna
see it is ' Charlie Tuna' on the upwind tack.


. In fact on the new 23s the boards are BLACK. (tooling gelcoat) I'am building a
23 with a green hull , white deck and black centerboard.


If you have made the repairs and the board is fair and smooth just paint it
with anything. Black would look cool.....hehehe.


No matter what you do, or what color you paint the centerboard, evenually
it will develope nicks, chips and paint dings as it travels with your boat on the
trailer or as it rubs the bottom somewhere etc.


GET 'ER DONE

Fair winds
Bob

PS any bolt holes or other dings that need filling or repair just use polyester resin
with some scraps of mat for filler. Fill to oversize and sand flush.



Bob Olson wrote:

Bill, Thanks for the reply. West System believes that you can put gelcoat over their epoxy. Albeit, with the right preparation. But, I'm exploring the idea of using a Linear polyurethane (LP) paint such as Awlgrip to coat my epoxied centerboard. That is, If I can buy a small enough quantity. The stuff is really expensive. But supposedly it's as durable as gelcoat and it can be brushed on. If I can create a good color match, being able to use a plasticized paint over my epoxy repair work would be ideal. And, from what I've read, epoxy is far stronger than polyester and forms a superior moisture barrier. Plus, it's so easy to work with.

--Bob
M-15 Sequel






On Apr 16, 2005, at 9:44 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

In a message dated 4/16/2005 1:23:14 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
I'm a little concerned that the gelcoat may not stick to the
epoxy-based repair.
Hi Bob
Not that I'm an expert! However, Don Casey's book "Hull & Deck Repair" says
dont use an epoxy if the finish is going to be gelcoat. Instead use a polyester
resin as gelcoat will not bond well with Epoxy.
My plan is to fillet the holes I'm making using Epoxy thickened with
colloidal Silica and then seal the ladder & mount in a bed of polysulfide. For the
holes left from the previous mount, I'll fill them with Fiberglass and polyester
resin and cap them off with gelcoat. Don Casey says it's best to let a woman
approve the gelcoat color match. Or if that's not possible, develop a "good
enough" attitude.
I got West System Epoxy "how to" manual today. It covers much of what Don
Casey says as well as goes into more on the Epoxy, while Don's book deals with
much more, such as sealants and polyester resins. Both books age worth buying.
Bill
M-17 "Tipperary"
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats




_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats





_______________________________________________ http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to