I tow my M15 (Vanilla) with a Subaru Forester. The 165 HP, plain jane L model handled it ok, but the S model has 4-wheel disk brakes that stop it better. Currently, I have a Forester with a turbo in it (210 HP), and hardly know the boat is back there--just finished the 800 mile round-trip Pullman- to- Anacortes and the 2-week sail with the Monty group in the San Juan and Gulf Islands.
--Gary Hyde
N24 'Sailabration'
M15 #235 'Vanilla'

On Jun 09, 2005, at 6:41 PM, William B. Riker wrote:

I had one near miss towing Storm Petrel with my RAV4. The short version is
that a semi and I tried to move into the same lane just before the
interstate split. I ended up taking the other split, not the intended one, via the shoulder at 55 or 60. He was bigger - lots bigger, so he got the lane. It was close but no damage was done. My rig felt as secure as it could under those circumstances. I sure was glad the boat was tied down well. I checked things out at a rest area, then headed back to my original
route.

The RAV is a small but tall SUV with a very short wheelbase. I think it feels more stable that its size would indicate because of the full time all wheel drive. I really like the way it handles, both with and without the
trailer.

SP's Dilly trailer is larger and heavier than those I have seen other M15s sitting on. It has a lot of tongue weight but not enough for the RAV's rear
to sag.   You can tell the boat is back there and I notice the unusual
motion when first leaving on a trip.

I often tow over the mountains to the Chesapeake, such as the Appalachians are. I prefer the scenery of toll-free I68 through Western Maryland to the PA Turnpike, even though the hills are steeper. I run comfortably at 65-70, except up the hills, of course. The RAV gets about 20 mpg when towing and
27 when unencumbered.

Bill Riker
M-15 - #184
Storm Petrel


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to