Here's another thought or two...  I'm guessing the addition of the  "Knee" 
(bracket between bottom and transom) on power boats, even the very  small ones 
is what makes it okay to put a 15 horse on there and bounce  along. My 25 plus 
year old 13 foot Gregor aluminum has always had the motor  attached. Used to 
be an ancient 115 pound 15hp, now an 86 pound 15hp.  Several sets of tires and 
many miles...  "Built like a Monty - very  strong!"
 
My reason for light is beautiful, easy is better, is because of  problems 
with shoulders. It almost killed me to lift the last foot or so of the  Johnson 
6hp (70 pounds) up to the stationary motor mount on the M-17.
 
My 17 had the motor attached for 12 years before I got her. And apparently  
towed over several Oregon Mountain passes on many occasions. The prior owner  
scoffed when I asked him to carry the motor separate when he was kind enough to 
 deliver her to me. I can find no damage and the new owner, when I sold  her, 
who is a lot more sailboat savvy than I, says she's great. 
 
I guess I'm wondering what the manufacturer of sailboats (any brand) would  
need to make it okay to carry the motor on the transom. Just the knee brace  
sounds too easy, or it would have been done by now...
 
Perhaps a part of it is in tradition, rather than construction. 
 
Bill
 
 

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to