I would also find that an interesting read Tom. I think it would
grand if you ever got around to completing it.
And thanks for the heads up on the "'Sailing Among the Stars: The Story
of Sea Dart' by Laural Wagers of
Sandpoint ID. " I will go looking for that one next buying binge.
I have pretty well read every book of adventure/ sailing I have ever
come across. Most I have borrowed
from friends or the library, but over the last few years I am trying to
actually buy and collect many of the
stand outs. I have taken to re-reading a lot of these. Funny thing
though, for some reason I have bi-passed
any of Jones stuff I have seen. I am not sure why, but possibly for the
fact that long ago I had heard that he did
'embellish' his writing at times. I am sure that would make them all
the better. ~:0)
I guess I should also look for some Jones.
The fact that Sea Dart ended up in Idaho has always kind of intrigued
me. Over the years I have been to or through
Couer d'Alene many times. Though never sailed the lake. The area is
within a days ride for me.
Sea Dart made an appearance in a book I own, called "Sailing Small" by
Stan Grayson. I admit I mostly bought
the book for two other reasons. The cover has an image of one of my all
time favourite designs as well as a
small article by the designer Paul Gartside. Plus there is a chapter by
a chap that is a hero of mine. Charles Stock
(AC Stock) his book is called Sailing Just For Fun.
Looking forward to your story as well Larry. My copy always seems to
take its sweet time getting here.
Cheers, Tim
M17 #369 'PUFF'
Kelowna BC
========================
Tom Smith wrote:
I started an article for SCA a couple years ago on Sea Dart. Even
sailed her a couple of times on Lake Couer d'Alene. I'll have to dig
that
piece back up and finish it one of these days...
Jones could spin a tale for sure, though I think he played fast and loose
with the facts many times. There is a fine book about the boat called
'Sailing Among the Stars: The Story of Sea Dart' by Laural Wagers of
Sandpoint ID. Great background on the boat. t
On 2/5/07, W David Scobie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
when sea dart was moved to idaho i did some searching and found where
she
was being repaired ... made seaworthy really ... by ID st. parks (she
is now
part of their boater education program; fitting she now sails the 'high
lakes' of idaho).
i couldn't get near her, but was able to get a peak. i felt as if i was
allowed a secret peak at a holly relic (ie, if i found the ark of the
covenant in the fictional US gov't storage facility at the end of
spielberg's & lucas's 'raiders of the lost arc').
dave
M15#288 (not yet named)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi David,
I second that....
Tristan Jones and his adventures sailing are great books to read.
He gets the wildest ideas, and then carries them out: to sail in the
lowest sea on earth and the highest.
The lowest was the Dead Sea in Israel, and the highest was the
Titticacca
Lake in Peru. From the Titticacca Lake he then heads down the Amazon -
with something like a 30 mile portage; rollers under the keel and doing
it the hard way until he gets to the Amazon. Obviously, it is another
Tristan Jones circumnavigation.
A great story and ideal reading for winter evenings.
Connie
---------------------------------
The fish are biting.
Get more visitors on your site using Yahoo! Search Marketing.
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats