The 276c is a dream piece of gear for a chap like myself. If I had the
resources you can bet I would sign on for one of those puppies.
But , in the meantime I have owned and used a $120. Garmin eTrex hand
held unit for a few years. This version is water proof.
The eTrex does not compare well to the larger units with maps and such,
but it is still a highly functional tool that I would be unhappy to
have to do without.
If you are not a gps user now and want to spend a little less money that
$700 or so, perhaps try one of the many hand helds.
If you are doing the San Juan trip with Larry, I am sure you will have a
new chart set. That is the main thing IMHO. The hand held will tell you
right where you are in numbers, you just have to correlate that to the
map if visuals are not clear. You can still plot a course though it is
not as easy. You can also do the Hansel and Gretel and leave some
breadcrumbs to find your way back. I use the 'GO TO' function
every time I sail....the device gives you distances, eta's, current
speed, average speed and daily distances etc. Mine will tell me the time of
sun up or down....or the time in Bucharest or Alice Springs. The hand
held does not wire into the ships juice, but when it comes to my
gps I am in favour of the battery world. I use the thing for other
trips as well. On my bike, in the bush, M/C or car.
I will admit though, that the primary function of my GPS is a very
accurate speedometer. Nothing like a 1/10th of a knot readout to trim
sail by.
A very handy inexpensive piece of gear. There, my support for the entry
level electronic devices. Have fun.
Cheers, Tim Diebert
M17 #369 Puff
Kelowna BC, Canada
49 52' 11.18"N 119 29' 13.43"W
1131 ft. elev.
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats