Ugo, I recently purchased a Montgomery 17 which I am in the process of
giving her needed TLC and readying her for the sailing season and
hope to trail it to the sound this summer. I therefore have no sailing
experience with the Monty but having worked around and inside it for a
few weeks I feel pretty confident that it will fulfill my
expectations. Like you, I felt the need to downsize and felt the Monty
17 would fill the bill. I felt that the 15 was a little to small for
my taste altho it sure gets rave reviews. My reasoning was also that I
wanted to be able to spend a few nights aboard and the 15 seemed a
little tight for that...but, my old body does not easily fit into tight
spaces like it used to. My wife and 2 children lived aboard our
Mariner 31 for several years and took her to Mexico back in the 1980's.
We also lived on our 25ft Choey Lee Frisco Flyer for a year and last
had a Dolphin 24. While the inside of the Monty is certainly less
than my other boats it feels quite adaquate for my needs. As far as
sea keeping ability, I have no doubts about the Monty considering her
stout construction and design credentials...truth is, the Monty can
probably take a lot more weather than this old body can endure. Kind
regards Arnold
On Apr 14, 2007, at 3:45 PM, Ugo BR wrote:
I am selling my Gary Mull Ranger 26 and looking to downsize. Too much
upkeep
for this aging sailor. Being a long-time fan of Hess boats, the
Montgomery
15 seems the perfect boat for me. I have spent the greater part of the
month coveting them and have decided that one will definitely be in my
future. The Montgomery 15 seems like an actual sailboat, not a toy with
cloth flapping in the wind. I would like to be able to continue to ply
the
Puget Sound waters in relative safety.
I consider myself an adequate sailor, having had boats from 22 to 38
feet
over the last 15 years. Any other downsizing sailor's out there who
now own
a Montgomery?
I would also be interested to hear from any recent purchasers. How
long does
it take to order and then receive a Montgomery 15? Did you special
order
anything? Ports, hardware, sails? Other advice?
Thanks-
Hugh
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats