Maria,

Thanks for your response. Indeed, your story is similar to my own with the
exception of the power boat. Substitute instead a historic canoe stern
sailboat with all stainless ports on a cabin trunk that was mahogany and
lots of teak. A stunning boat but I never did anything but maintain her. 

The Ranger 26 is a great boat but moorage is terribly expensive and getting
worse. Other than a 10 day cruise to the San Juan Islands, she is used only
for day sails and overnighters. 

I live literally 1/2 mile from boat launches in a lovely neighborhood in
Seattle. I thought a 15 might be easier to launch than a 17, although still
sturdy enough to ply both the Puget Sound.

Happy sailing.

Ugo

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
] On Behalf Of Maria Jorge
Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2007 9:12 AM
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
Subject: Re: M_Boats: Downsizing to a Montgomery 15

Hi Hugh:
I can certainly relate to what you're going through. I guess I am a typical
sailor in that I started out small in a Rhodes 19, then caught the cruising
bug and bought a bilge keel Westerly 23 (poor performance), downsized again
to a Flying Scot, tried a powerboat (Boston Whaler Montauk), back to sailing
in a Precision 18, added a powerboat (Mako 17) and then threw all caution to
the winds and bought a Nonsuch 30. I must say that I loved the Nonsuch and
if I had unlimited time and funds would probably still own it. Increasing
dock fees and insurance in South Florida killed it for me.

When I started looking around for a trailer sailor again, I knew performance
and stout construction was paramount. The Monty 17 that I now own fits the
bill. I had originally considered a 15 but the 17 offers so much more room
for the two feet that it was a no brainer. I keep my 17 at a marina, fully
rigged and ready to sail. If I was keeping it at home and stepping the mast
each time, I would get a 15. I bought my 17 used so cannot offer any
thoughts regarding buying new. However, I have dealt with the builder, Bob
Eeg on a few replacement items and he has been great. I was lucky to find my
boat (a fiberglass centerboard model) used although I did have to travel
almost 3000 miles roundtrip to get it. This is typical for many Montgomery
owners.

This board is a great resource and if you go through the archives there is a
ton of information to help you.

Two years ago I decided I couldn't resist the beautiful lines and spur of
the moment sailing ease offered by a Melonseed so I now have two boats. You
can never have enough boats!
Maria


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Ugo BR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2007 6:45 PM
Subject: M_Boats: Downsizing to a Montgomery 15


> I am selling my Gary Mull Ranger 26 and looking to downsize. Too much
upkeep
> for this aging sailor. Being a long-time fan of Hess boats, the Montgomery
> 15 seems the perfect boat for me.  I have spent the greater part of the
> month coveting them and have decided that one will definitely be in my
> future. The Montgomery 15 seems like an actual sailboat, not a toy with
> cloth flapping in the wind. I would like to be able to continue to ply the
> Puget Sound waters in relative safety.
>
>
>
> I consider myself an adequate sailor, having had boats from 22 to 38 feet
> over the last 15 years. Any other downsizing sailor's out there who now
own
> a Montgomery?
>
>
>
> I would also be interested to hear from any recent purchasers. How long
does
> it take to order and then receive a Montgomery 15? Did you special order
> anything? Ports, hardware, sails? Other advice?
>
>
>
> Thanks-
>
> Hugh
>
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to