One approach is to measure carburetor bowl fuel capacity (drain the
full bowl into a graduate or measuring cup) then run boat at constant
speed, shut off fuel valve and time how long before the bowl runs dry
& the motor quits. Then caculate how long it would run on a full tank.
It's important to run at a known constant speed because fuel economy
is influenced by speed, especially near hull speed.
I have a 4 hp Yamaha on my M17& can run over an hour at 4 knots on an
internal tankful (1.1 litre ~0.3 gal). That works out to over 12 NM/
gal, but I think it will do better that.
Sent from my iPhone
On Sep 22, 2007, at 3:35 PM, Arnold Sharpe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hey out there in Monty land'
I have a M-17 with a 4 hp, 4 stroke, Nissan outboard. It has an
internal fuel tank that holds about 1/3 of a gallon. While I don't
do a lot of motoring, I have been trying to figure roughly how long
I can run on a tank of gas. I don't have a manual and I can't find
anything on Nissan"s web page. The tank is poly and is really odd
shaped so tank calibration is not a possibility additionally, to
sight the tank I must shut down and remove the remove the cover.
Short of doing a test in which I run around in circles until I run
out of gas, does anyone out there have the same motor and some
similar experience. Thanks..Arnold on M-17 "LITTLE BREEZE"
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats