I use a Garmin GPS 76CS.  It is a handheld unit, has a color screen,  
floats, includes a pretty good basemap and is compatible with  
bluecharts maps.  I like it because it floats (I can take it kayaking)  
is able to run on its own batteries which is nice for hiking and using  
it off the boat.  I have a cradle wired up that will allow it to run  
off of the boat battery as well.  I have used it for 2 years now and  
really like it.  It is now available as a refurbished unit from edge  
GPS for $175.  http://www.edgegps.com/eCart/viewItem.html? 
idProduct=261 At that price it is a great bargain.

Regards,

Chad





On Mar 3, 2008, at 9:44 AM, jim sadler wrote:

> Ahoy Skippers
>
> This weekend we rounded the W. end of Catalina (on my cousins  
> Catalina 310)
> at midnight a sailed into Catalina harbor.  My old GPS gave me fixes  
> which I
> plotted onto a chart to see our track and make sure we were not going
> aground.  There was no visibility and I found myself hallucinating  
> in the
> night and spending way too much time plotting our track.
>
> I decided if we make it through this and  I could get back to the  
> form I
> would ask you skippers if you are using GPS systems with plotting
> capabilities?
>
> What are the hot systems?
>
> Capt,n James A Sadler
> skipper sailing vessel Pelican M15
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to