I would second the idea of going out the first time without the sails. You may
resist the idea somewhat, after all it IS a sailboat, but launching, docking &
retrieval is a good day out. Take someone with you, and practice going over
the side, "Can you get back aboard unassisted?"
In no way do I mean to criticize, but on my way into work this morning I was
mentally inventorying what boats I've sailed, and thought about the fact that I
have been rowing small boats since I was about 4, and was trusted to drive,
dock and refuel by the time I was 5. I had to admit to myself that with all of
that experience, my seamanship was paltry. Power boaters always depend on the
engine to save them, and so do not learn to watch the conditions in the same
manner that you will in a sailboat.
The first time you attempt to tack on a lee shore, and she won't come around,
you will learn lesson #1: stay the heck off of lee shores in big wind. You
will do this at least once, it's almost guaranteed. If you have enough room, a
jibe will almost always save you, otherwise, you pray that the engine starts or
end up walking her out of the wind. Walking a sailboat, even a small one, when
the wind is up is no fun.
I looked long & hard at the M15, but finally decided to go larger with a
Com-Pac 23 diesel. I went out twice before I raised sail, and the experience
gained was invaluable. I still jibed hard on a lee shore, but walking a 3,200
pound boat in 20 knots wind would have been neigh impossible. BTW, for
comparisons purpose. I have never reefed my main. She's nicely balanced, and
sails to windward at about 3.5 knots in 25+ knots of wind on main alone. I've
heard tales about folks being hit with 50 knots on protected waters with a full
main. That would get your attention in any boat. The 150% genny I use will
cause you to break a sweat in 15 knots or so. A roller furling jib is a
necessity if you singlehand.
Enjoy you new boat, but I suppose that goes without saying!
>>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 4/16/2008 3:58 PM >>>
Herb,
Where do you plan to sail along the SC Coast. I'm in North Augusta and take
my M17 to the coast every so often
John
**************
Need a new ride? Check out the largest site for U.S. used
car listings at AOL Autos.
(http://autos.aol.com/used?NCID=aolcmp00300000002851)
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats