Herb,

I think Connie will agree with me that "weight distribution is reasonably
critical" doesn't mean that you will be in any kind of danger with too much
weight in the stern.  The boat won't perform well, i.e. won't sail fast when
unbalanced.  And it won't handle as well either, which may be frustrating
but not dangerous. 

Your M15 will handle differently from an unballasted boat, either motor or
sail.   But in a good way, once you get used to extra weight.  Motions are
slower, less violent, and you learn to use the momentum to carry you up a
dock, trailer, buoy or whatever.  

I believe the M15 is a very safe sailboat.  I've read virtually every post
on this site for the last 10 years and don't believe anyone has swamped
their M15 or M17 (or M23), much less "tipped over."  Some have scooped some
water over the rail, but not enough to be dangerous.  That said, just to be
safe, keep you hatchboards in when the wind picks up.  

Bill Riker
M15 - #184
Storm Petrel


-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Conbert
H Benneck
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 9:21 AM
To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
Subject: Re: M_Boats: M15, experience (lack of) and location

Hi Herb,

I've sailed most of my life.  Had a 29 footer for 26 years; worked my way up
to a 38 footer  - found I was over boated.... and then  at 72 years of age I
downsized to a Bolger MICRO, a ComPac 16, and finally the M15.

The M15 is an absolute delight to sail, and I only gave up sailing at about
84 year of age, when Neptune tapped me on the shoulder and suggested I was
getting a bit old for mast stepping.

The only caveat is, that being a 15 footer, it sails well with two people on
board - with three and even four if the others are children.  You just don't
want it to squat in the stern, so weight distribution is reasonably
critical.

I sailed our M15 mostly by myself, sitting as close to the  companionway as
I could.

M15s are great boats.  You'll have lots of fun with yours.... 

Connie Benneck
ex M15 #400  LEPPO

----- Original Message ----
From: Herb Stokes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:25:21 AM
Subject: M_Boats: M15, experience (lack of) and location

Hello all,

I'm very close to ordering an M15 and thought I'd try to get some
reassurance before I jump.


   I have very little sailing experience (maybe 10 or 12 trips) but have
30-35 years boating 
experience, so I feel I have a good handle on the basic seamanship aspect of
things.
  Here on the South Carolina coast we get an "afternoon seabreeze" of about
12-15 mph
almost everyday throughout the summer. I've been looking at alot of
different boats for a long 
time and I keep coming back to the Montgomerys. I'll be sailing the rivers
and harbors, not 
out front. It is reasonable to think an M15 is a good choice for this. And,
at 56, is this to lively a boat 
to manage, while leaning to sail?
   From all the reading I've done, I know there are a lot of seasoned
veterans out there, so I'd appreciate 
any input you guys might have.

   Herb Stokes
    


 
____________________________________________________________________________
________
Be a better friend, newshound, and 
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try it now.
http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to