Hi Herb,

More comments to your questions:

The M15 because of it's size, is a bit tender; i.e., it doesn't have the weight 
of a larger keel boat so when you get on board it will move about a bit.

It's size is a big advantage  if you are just beginning to feel your way.  The 
sails are relatively small:  the boom is light weight.  I don't recommend 
getting hit on the head during a jibe by even a very light boom,  but on my 29 
footer it was a solid spruce boom about 6" in diameter.  That was a very 
serious potential cause for injury, and had to treated with great respect and 
caution.

As for sailing it, 12 to 15 knots of wind sound ideal.  My only adive is to 
make sure you have CAM cleats for the jib sheet; not jam cleats.  Why?  ...well 
if you are hit by a sudden gust, if the jib sheet is held in a cam cleat, a 
slight upwards tug will instantly release it, .... which is what you want.
With jam cleats (that I originally had on my M15 #400) if you are hit by a 
sudden gust, the jib sheet will be pulled more firmly into the jam cleat, and 
you will have to exert a lot of force - pulling agains the load on the jib 
sheet to get it to release.  After my first experience with that problem, my 
next step was to replace the jam cleats with cam cleats.

Otherwise, the M15 is forgiving; has a nice motion; and as I said previously  - 
is a joy to sail.  I just wish that I still had mine....!

Connie

----- Original Message ----
From: Herb Stokes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:25:21 AM
Subject: M_Boats: M15, experience (lack of) and location

Hello all,

I'm very close to ordering an M15 and thought I'd try to get some reassurance 
before I jump.


   I have very little sailing experience (maybe 10 or 12 trips) but have 30-35 
years boating 
experience, so I feel I have a good handle on the basic seamanship aspect of 
things.
  Here on the South Carolina coast we get an "afternoon seabreeze" of about 
12-15 mph
almost everyday throughout the summer. I've been looking at alot of different 
boats for a long 
time and I keep coming back to the Montgomerys. I'll be sailing the rivers and 
harbors, not 
out front. It is reasonable to think an M15 is a good choice for this. And, at 
56, is this to lively a boat 
to manage, while leaning to sail?
   From all the reading I've done, I know there are a lot of seasoned veterans 
out there, so I'd appreciate 
any input you guys might have.

   Herb Stokes
    


      
____________________________________________________________________________________
Be a better friend, newshound, and 
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try it now.  
http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to