Hahahahaha. Sounds like a night I spent in a poorly chosen spot last Fall.
A front rolled in and I was sailing so fast and making great distance that I
decided to 
stay out and anchor. I opted for a permanent mooring over a more sheltered
location.
Bad choice. Same deal. I actually had to wedge myself between compression
post 
and the stbd ceiling with anything soft. I woke up more than once because I
was 
rolled far enough to knock my coconut on the post. I spent a lot of time
staring at the deck 
head. I tried to read but got pissed off with that too. At one point I slid
open the hatch to
check lines and it was bloody snowing.....and howling. The minute it was
light enough
I slipped that spot and started for home. Sailed hard for about an
hour....then the wind 
died and a couple of hours later it was sunny and still like a mill pond.
Had to motor all 
day to get home. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Larry E
Yake
Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2008 7:32 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: M_Boats: Comfort and Joy

Sleeping on a M17 when there's any wave action is an "acquired" skill. As
in when you've acquired enough exhaustion, you'll finally get a little
bit of fitful sleep. I guarantee 3 to 4 foot waves will keep you up all
night. Not only from the noise (Which some sailors claim is "soothing".
I'm from the "it's annoying" school of thought.), but also from the
tossing and lurching, which I had the misfortune of enduring one very
windy night anchored in Winter Cove in the Gulf Islands. The pitching
would be bad enough, but throw in an occasional sideways lurch as the
boat sails side to side on her anchor and there is no "rhythm" for your
body to adjust to. 

I have an anchor riding sail, as Tim mentioned trying, and have not found
that it makes a great deal of difference. Mounting it on the backstay
above the bridle guys puts it too high and too far forward on such a
short boat to be very effective. Perhaps another mounting method would
help.
I've also tried moving the anchor rode to the winch eye down on the bow,
rigging a bridle from both bow cleats, raising the centerboard and/or the
rudder, all to no avail. It's not a real bad swing on the M17, but no
swing at all would be better.

Sleeping in the cockpit is much quieter than sleeping inside. The "echo
chamber" effect is gone, and the cockpit seats are nice and long,
although a little narrow. I lined the sides of the V berth with 1/4"
closed cell foam and antimicrobial headliner material over that to try to
quiet the "chamber", but it only helped a little. The quarter berth is
not fit for man nor beast. I'm slim enough to get my legs down there, but
unless you're willing to spend the entire night motionless on your back,
without bending your legs or rolling onto your side, it feels like a
coffin. 

Nevertheless, I love cruising on my M17 and sleeping aboard. You just
want to find a nice peaceful anchorage to get a good nights sleep.

Larry Yake
M17 #200 CornDog
"In a power boat you get there faster, but in a sailboat you're already
there."

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 17:53:26 -0400 (EDT) Joe                   Murphy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Tim,
> Thanks for the info.  Do you have a roller at the bow for the anchor 
> rode or do you use one of the chalks?  I was anchored out at the 
> Fort Macon light house one weekend and I watched a couple next to me 
> doing exactly what you described.  The next morning we got together 
> for coffee and he said he was going to have a small roller put right 
> off the tip of the bow.  He emailed me later and told me that it 
> solved 90% of his problem.  
> 
> Sleeping... Is it possible to sleep in the starboard berth?
> 
> Thanks again,
> Joe
> 
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Tim Diebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats" 
> <[email protected]>
> Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2008 12:45:23 PM (GMT-0500) 
> America/New_York
> Subject: Re: M_Boats: Comfort and Joy
> 
> The stubbiness of the 17 means it will be a lot more frisky in any 
> kind of
> lumpy water of course.
> I find that the lapstrakes...the faux laps....tend to make a lot of 
> little
> noises with even the slightest water action. I drives me wacky to 
> tell you
> the truth.
> Another thing I have noticed about the 17 is that she tends to 
> 'sail' when
> on the hook. Rather than nose to wind she tends to wander back and 
> forth
> within a 45 degree quadrant. Because of this she can get a slight 
> sideways
> roll going at times. I am going to try a small riding sail when at 
> anchor
> for night.
> My wife an I can both sleep in the V berth....simutaineously. But it 
> is a
> bit tight. We decided to work on the cockpit tent more and rig a big 
> berth
> in the cockpit in the future. One in the V berth, one outside. The 
> tent
> prototype is partway done.
> When I cruise by myself it is perfectly roomy and suitable for  many 
> days no
> problem. I have also spent over a week with my wife on the 
> boat.....and we
> are still married...though she has told me it won't be happening 
> again. ~:0)
> 
> Cheers, Tim D in BC.
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of 
> Joe
> Murphy
> Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2008 6:05 PM
> To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
> Subject: M_Boats: Comfort and Joy
> 
> I'm looking at the M17 as a next boat and have taken note on how 
> seaworthy 
> they are.  In addition, I'm wondering what you all have to say about 
> 
> anchoring out.  I like doing overnighters in and around the Beaufort 
> NC area
> 
> which means a lot of 2-3 foot seas.  My experiences have been aboard 
> a 
> NorSea 27.
> 
> Thanks much,
> Joe 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> 
> 
> -- 
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG. 
> Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.5/1399 - Release Date: 
> 4/26/2008
> 2:17 PM
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> 
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> 
> 
 
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


-- 
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG. 
Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.5/1400 - Release Date: 4/27/2008
9:39 AM



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to