" Did you try unshipping the rudder? That sometime helps.Thanks, Ben"

I have tried that Ben. But I didn't leave it off long enough to get a fair
trial. The thing is so huge I was struggling to find somewhere to stow it
that wasn't in my way. 
Jerry mentioned that he brings his CB up when at anchor. I don't do that
because I have a pendant that is not entirely trustworthy at this point. So
there is another factor in the puzzle.

Thanks for all the input on this topic. A great resource is this list. I now
have plenty of ideas to try!

Just one more point I thought I would mention.

When I am just stopping to swim or have lunch I often just drop the hook off
the stern and tie the line off there. This is not the case  when there is
any action, because if there was wind I would be sailing...not swimming. But
even with a light breeze the boat stays steady stern to any moving air when
the anchor is off the stern.
I anchored this way one night. (ya, I know) It was fine until one of our big
night winds came up....then it was wet and wild. I was too tired and it was
too dark to switch ends.....live and learn.

Have a grand weekend all.

Tim D in BC.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ben
Smith
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 5:42 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: M_Boats: Comfort and Joy



C

----------------------------------------
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: montgomery_boats Digest, Vol 63, Issue 3
> To: [email protected]
> Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 17:11:44 -0600
> 
> Send montgomery_boats mailing list submissions to
>        [email protected]
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of montgomery_boats digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>    1. Re: Comfort and Joy (jerry)
>    2. Re: Comfort and Joy ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
>    3. Re: Comfort and Joy ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
>    4. Re: new brochure added (James Poulakis)
>    5. Re: Comfort and Joy (James Poulakis)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 12:19:49 -0700
> From: "jerry" 
> Subject: Re: M_Boats: Comfort and Joy
> To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
>        
> Message-ID: 
> Content-Type: text/plain;      charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> I hate the smell of burning blankets!
> 
> Jerry
> jerrymontgomery.org
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Tom Smith" 
> To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
> 
> Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 12:13 PM
> Subject: Re: M_Boats: Comfort and Joy
> 
> 
>> I'm telling you Jerry.   Smoky campfire.  Blanket.  t
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>>
>>
>> --
>> No virus found in this incoming message.
>> Checked by AVG.
>> Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.7/1409 - Release Date: 5/1/2008
> 8:39 AM
>>
>>
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 17:57:23 -0400
> From: 
> Subject: Re: M_Boats: Comfort and Joy
> To: "'For and about Montgomery Sailboats'"
>        
> Message-ID: 
> Content-Type: text/plain;      charset="windows-1250"
> 
> Jerry,
> 
> Maybe you got a defective copy? *grin*
> 
> I don't recall Busca sailing at anchor either.  The only time I can recall
> moving about is when the wind was light and/or the tide/current came into
> play.  And then the time in the Chesapeake when we dragged during a
> thunderstorm and my 11# Bruce couldn't hold a half-dozen plus rafted up
> boats.  Of course, then we didn't sail around, we just slowly moved
> backwards.
> 
> 11# Bruce + 17' of 5/16" chain + 3/8" three strand nylon.
> 
> Tod
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of jerry
> Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 12:43 PM
> To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
> Subject: Re: M_Boats: Comfort and Joy
> 
> I'm curious about this also.  I've spent many nites on the hook in Mexico
> and Catalina Isl, and don't ever remember the boat sailing around; this is
> with a 17 and a 15 also.  What am I doing wrong?
> 
> I wonder if it could be something as simple as the amount of scope and
> chain?  I used 5/16" chain, and about 30 feet of it.  I tried my best to
> avoid rough anchorages, but if there was any chop at all I ran the line
down
> thru the trailer eye as someone else mentioned.  Otherwise I tied it off
on
> the bow cleat and led the line around the puplit, which would make it off
> center by at least a foot.  I normally left the rudder down and lashed on
> center.  Only other thing I can think of would be the boom awning, which
> would add some drag aft.  I normally raised the CB, but that was to keep
it
> from banging back and forth.
> 
> I really can't think of any other possible factors!  I have used several
> different boats and had no problem with any.
> 
> Jerry
> jerrymontgomery.org
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Tim Diebert" 
> To: "'For and about Montgomery Sailboats'"
> 
> Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 7:15 AM
> Subject: Re: M_Boats: Comfort and Joy
> 
> 
>> That's not a good bit of info Gary. You got me all depressed first thing
>> this morning....~:0)
>>
>> The thing that really brought this to light for me was a night on the
hook
>> two summers ago. I wind shift turned my anchorage uncomfortable. As I
> always
>> do I take bearings on fixed points and keep checking to be sure I am not
>> dragging. Every time I poked my head out the hatch I saw something new
and
>> wondered if the wind was shifting that badly.  A motor boat dropped in
> this
>> bay later in the evening. His boat tracked straight into the wind...like
a
>> bird dog. At first I thought he had a stern anchor....but no. Got me
>> wondering why PUFF sailed all over the place and he did not. That's when
I
>> figured it was the off-center (no bow roller) condition. I went to the
>> trouble of making a centering harness on the pulpit and kept it as low as
>> possible. No difference.
>> I will try all the other ideas mentioned as I get a chance.
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Gary
M
>> Hyde
>> Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 6:57 PM
>> To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
>> Subject: Re: M_Boats: Comfort and Joy
>>
>> Tim:
>> I've owned 4 sailboats and they all tacked back and forth on the hook.
>> --Gary Hyde
>> 2005 M17 sailboat #637 'Hydeaway 2'
>> We can't change the wind, but we can trim our sails.
>> Sailing is like "African Queening" thru life.
>>
>> On Apr 27, 2008, at 9:45 AM, Tim Diebert wrote:
>>> The stubbiness of the 17 means it will be a lot more frisky in any
>>> kind of
>>> lumpy water of course.
>>> I find that the lapstrakes...the faux laps....tend to make a lot of
>>> little
>>> noises with even the slightest water action. I drives me wacky to
>>> tell you
>>> the truth.
>>> Another thing I have noticed about the 17 is that she tends to
>>> 'sail' when
>>> on the hook. Rather than nose to wind she tends to wander back and
>>> forth
>>> within a 45 degree quadrant. Because of this she can get a slight
>>> sideways
>>> roll going at times. I am going to try a small riding sail when at
>>> anchor
>>> for night.
>>> My wife an I can both sleep in the V berth....simutaineously. But it
>>> is a
>>> bit tight. We decided to work on the cockpit tent more and rig a big
>>> berth
>>> in the cockpit in the future. One in the V berth, one outside. The
>>> tent
>>> prototype is partway done.
>>> When I cruise by myself it is perfectly roomy and suitable for  many
>>> days no
>>> problem. I have also spent over a week with my wife on the
>>> boat.....and we
>>> are still married...though she has told me it won't be happening
>>> again. ~:0)
>>>
>>> Cheers, Tim D in BC.
>>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
>>> Joe
>>> Murphy
>>> Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2008 6:05 PM
>>> To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
>>> Subject: M_Boats: Comfort and Joy
>>>
>>> I'm looking at the M17 as a next boat and have taken note on how
>>> seaworthy
>>> they are.  In addition, I'm wondering what you all have to say about
>>> anchoring out.  I like doing overnighters in and around the Beaufort
>>> NC area
>>>
>>> which means a lot of 2-3 foot seas.  My experiences have been aboard a
>>> NorSea 27.
>>>
>>> Thanks much,
>>> Joe
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> No virus found in this incoming message.
>>> Checked by AVG.
>>> Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.5/1399 - Release Date:
>>> 4/26/2008
>>> 2:17 PM
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>>
>>
>> --
>> No virus found in this incoming message.
>> Checked by AVG.
>> Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.7/1408 - Release Date:
4/30/2008
>> 6:10 PM
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>>
>>
>> --
>> No virus found in this incoming message.
>> Checked by AVG.
>> Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.7/1409 - Release Date: 5/1/2008
> 8:39 AM
>>
>>
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> 
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG. 
> Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.5/1400 - Release Date: 4/27/2008
> 9:39 AM
>  
> 
> No virus found in this outgoing message.
> Checked by AVG. 
> Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.5/1400 - Release Date: 4/27/2008
> 9:39 AM
>  
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 18:00:29 -0400
> From: 
> Subject: Re: M_Boats: Comfort and Joy
> To: "'For and about Montgomery Sailboats'"
>        
> Message-ID: 
> Content-Type: text/plain;      charset="windows-1250"
> 
> Yes, that was Busca that had a bow roller.
> 
> I just didn't feel the need for it, so I took it off.  On the foredeck I
> have two cleats side-by-side and run the anchor rode through a chock at
the
> gunwale and over to a cleat.
> 
> Two cleats are nice if you raft up, as one gets full pretty quickly.
> 
> Tod
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tom
> Smith
> Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 11:07 AM
> To: 'For and about Montgomery Sailboats'
> Subject: Re: M_Boats: Comfort and Joy
> 
> 
> Somebody had a bow roller once I remember.  Whoever bought Riceman's boat
> from MT.  They removed it I remember.  Who was that?  Was that you Todd?
t
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> 
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG. 
> Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.5/1400 - Release Date: 4/27/2008
> 9:39 AM
>  
> 
> No virus found in this outgoing message.
> Checked by AVG. 
> Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.5/1400 - Release Date: 4/27/2008
> 9:39 AM
>  
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 15:31:00 -0700
> From: James Poulakis 
> Subject: Re: M_Boats: new brochure added
> To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
>        
> Message-ID: 
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed
> 
> What a great boat.  Had one in the '80's and '90's then decided I 
> needed something bigger.  I was wrong.   Thanks Bill and Peter
> 
> Jim Poulakis
> "Spirit" M-17 #648
> 
> On May 1, 2008, at 5:20 AM, Bill Lamica wrote:
> 
>> Just added the Abil Vega 27 brochure PDF to the Photo Site, 
>> compliments of
>> Peter Jacobs, past M17 owner
>> This link is for the brochure,
>> Bill
>>
>> http://www.msogphotosite.com/MSOG/pdfpage/albinvega27.pdf
>> _______________________________________________
>> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>>
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 16:11:37 -0700
> From: James Poulakis 
> Subject: Re: M_Boats: Comfort and Joy
> To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
>        
> Message-ID: 
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed
> 
> Try this:
> Drop a second anchor off the bow.  Pay out very short scope (anchor 
> just touching the ground then a few feet more).  The second anchor 
> should drag along and discourage the whole boat from wrenching back and 
> forth.   This works best with one of those grapnel type dinghy anchors 
> (It actually works even better with a Hershoff anchor - but who carries 
> those anymore?)
> 
> Drawbacks:
> 1) It can require frequent adjusting in areas with large tidal ranges 
> (or your second anchor will just dangle when the tide comes in).
> 2) It doesn't work very well with Danforth type anchors.
> 3) On some bottoms it just plain doesn't work.
> 
> I started using this technique on a boat that would tack at anchor so 
> badly that my crew threatened to sue for whiplash.  I haven't anchored 
> out on my new M-17 so I don't  know if it's necessary.
> 
> Jim Poulakis
> "Spirit" M-17 #648
> 
> On May 1, 2008, at 2:57 PM,  wrote:
> 
>> Jerry,
>>
>> Maybe you got a defective copy? *grin*
>>
>> I don't recall Busca sailing at anchor either.  The only time I can 
>> recall
>> moving about is when the wind was light and/or the tide/current came 
>> into
>> play.  And then the time in the Chesapeake when we dragged during a
>> thunderstorm and my 11# Bruce couldn't hold a half-dozen plus rafted up
>> boats.  Of course, then we didn't sail around, we just slowly moved
>> backwards.
>>
>> 11# Bruce + 17' of 5/16" chain + 3/8" three strand nylon.
>>
>> Tod
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of 
>> jerry
>> Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 12:43 PM
>> To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
>> Subject: Re: M_Boats: Comfort and Joy
>>
>> I'm curious about this also.  I've spent many nites on the hook in 
>> Mexico
>> and Catalina Isl, and don't ever remember the boat sailing around; 
>> this is
>> with a 17 and a 15 also.  What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> I wonder if it could be something as simple as the amount of scope and
>> chain?  I used 5/16" chain, and about 30 feet of it.  I tried my best 
>> to
>> avoid rough anchorages, but if there was any chop at all I ran the 
>> line down
>> thru the trailer eye as someone else mentioned.  Otherwise I tied it 
>> off on
>> the bow cleat and led the line around the puplit, which would make it 
>> off
>> center by at least a foot.  I normally left the rudder down and lashed 
>> on
>> center.  Only other thing I can think of would be the boom awning, 
>> which
>> would add some drag aft.  I normally raised the CB, but that was to 
>> keep it
>> from banging back and forth.
>>
>> I really can't think of any other possible factors!  I have used 
>> several
>> different boats and had no problem with any.
>>
>> Jerry
>> jerrymontgomery.org
>>
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "Tim Diebert" 
>> To: "'For and about Montgomery Sailboats'"
>> 
>> Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 7:15 AM
>> Subject: Re: M_Boats: Comfort and Joy
>>
>>
>>> That's not a good bit of info Gary. You got me all depressed first 
>>> thing
>>> this morning....~:0)
>>>
>>> The thing that really brought this to light for me was a night on the 
>>> hook
>>> two summers ago. I wind shift turned my anchorage uncomfortable. As I
>> always
>>> do I take bearings on fixed points and keep checking to be sure I am 
>>> not
>>> dragging. Every time I poked my head out the hatch I saw something 
>>> new and
>>> wondered if the wind was shifting that badly.  A motor boat dropped in
>> this
>>> bay later in the evening. His boat tracked straight into the 
>>> wind...like a
>>> bird dog. At first I thought he had a stern anchor....but no. Got me
>>> wondering why PUFF sailed all over the place and he did not. That's 
>>> when I
>>> figured it was the off-center (no bow roller) condition. I went to the
>>> trouble of making a centering harness on the pulpit and kept it as 
>>> low as
>>> possible. No difference.
>>> I will try all the other ideas mentioned as I get a chance.
>>>
>>> Tim
>>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of 
>>> Gary M
>>> Hyde
>>> Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 6:57 PM
>>> To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
>>> Subject: Re: M_Boats: Comfort and Joy
>>>
>>> Tim:
>>> I've owned 4 sailboats and they all tacked back and forth on the hook.
>>> --Gary Hyde
>>> 2005 M17 sailboat #637 'Hydeaway 2'
>>> We can't change the wind, but we can trim our sails.
>>> Sailing is like "African Queening" thru life.
>>>
>>> On Apr 27, 2008, at 9:45 AM, Tim Diebert wrote:
>>>> The stubbiness of the 17 means it will be a lot more frisky in any
>>>> kind of
>>>> lumpy water of course.
>>>> I find that the lapstrakes...the faux laps....tend to make a lot of
>>>> little
>>>> noises with even the slightest water action. I drives me wacky to
>>>> tell you
>>>> the truth.
>>>> Another thing I have noticed about the 17 is that she tends to
>>>> 'sail' when
>>>> on the hook. Rather than nose to wind she tends to wander back and
>>>> forth
>>>> within a 45 degree quadrant. Because of this she can get a slight
>>>> sideways
>>>> roll going at times. I am going to try a small riding sail when at
>>>> anchor
>>>> for night.
>>>> My wife an I can both sleep in the V berth....simutaineously. But it
>>>> is a
>>>> bit tight. We decided to work on the cockpit tent more and rig a big
>>>> berth
>>>> in the cockpit in the future. One in the V berth, one outside. The
>>>> tent
>>>> prototype is partway done.
>>>> When I cruise by myself it is perfectly roomy and suitable for  many
>>>> days no
>>>> problem. I have also spent over a week with my wife on the
>>>> boat.....and we
>>>> are still married...though she has told me it won't be happening
>>>> again. ~:0)
>>>>
>>>> Cheers, Tim D in BC.
>>>>
>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>>> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
>>>> Joe
>>>> Murphy
>>>> Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2008 6:05 PM
>>>> To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
>>>> Subject: M_Boats: Comfort and Joy
>>>>
>>>> I'm looking at the M17 as a next boat and have taken note on how
>>>> seaworthy
>>>> they are.  In addition, I'm wondering what you all have to say about
>>>> anchoring out.  I like doing overnighters in and around the Beaufort
>>>> NC area
>>>>
>>>> which means a lot of 2-3 foot seas.  My experiences have been aboard 
>>>> a
>>>> NorSea 27.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks much,
>>>> Joe
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> No virus found in this incoming message.
>>>> Checked by AVG.
>>>> Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.5/1399 - Release Date:
>>>> 4/26/2008
>>>> 2:17 PM
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> No virus found in this incoming message.
>>> Checked by AVG.
>>> Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.7/1408 - Release Date: 
>>> 4/30/2008
>>> 6:10 PM
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> No virus found in this incoming message.
>>> Checked by AVG.
>>> Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.7/1409 - Release Date: 
>>> 5/1/2008
>> 8:39 AM
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>>
>> No virus found in this incoming message.
>> Checked by AVG.
>> Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.5/1400 - Release Date: 
>> 4/27/2008
>> 9:39 AM
>>
>>
>> No virus found in this outgoing message.
>> Checked by AVG.
>> Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.5/1400 - Release Date: 
>> 4/27/2008
>> 9:39 AM
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>>
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> montgomery_boats mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> 
> 
> End of montgomery_boats Digest, Vol 63, Issue 3
> ***********************************************
_________________________________________________________________
Back to work after baby-how do you know when you're ready?
http://lifestyle.msn.com/familyandparenting/articleNW.aspx?cp-documentid=579
7498&ocid=T067MSN40A0701A
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


-- 
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG. 
Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.7/1410 - Release Date: 5/1/2008
5:30 PM



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to