well. say what you want about mootools but it changed javascript for the
better and it made better javascripters out of those that used it.

I disagree about having to be a good javascript developer as a requirement
to using it. when I started, I hadn't a clue but moo.fx was nice! it made
sense and it made me learn javascript slowly as I came to need to extend
and structure my code. I am sure I am not alone.

it may no longer be a popular choice but face it: mootools class remains
the nicest oop api out there. prime (core) does fill that void nicely
enough but i find there is still room to use mootools-core today w/o any of
the conflict police whining about it. I've used it in nodejs (or prime) a
hell of a lot lately and it took very little convincing to get my
colleagues to agree on adding them as deps, even w/o them having any prior
mootools experience. it works and it still does what you'd expect.

so yes, you can code web apps without mootools--but you will always code
with class.

On Monday, August 12, 2013, Oskar Krawczyk wrote:

> Rich, here's my take on this, I might be brutally honest, *I still love
> all <3 Moo core-devs*.
>
> DISCLAIMER: I've been a die-hard Moo user. *Every project I've made for
> the past ~8 years was using MooTools*. I've build JSFiddle.net and
> Positionly.com using Moo. I've actually learned JS with Moo.
>
> For the past few years I've came to a conclusion that using MooTools
> everywhere was just plain ignorance on my side, I refused to acknowledge
> other frameworks because in my eyes Moo was always the best.
>
> At this point it's insanely difficult to find a front-end developer who's
> willing to work with MooTools - I've been looking for a in-house developer
> for nearly a year now. Community around MooTools is pretty much
> non-existent in comparison to other communities. Moo Plugins/libraries are
> long-forgotten and not maintained anymore (there are just a few that are
> regularly contributed to, mostly by the author not by others). This
> situation is getting pretty frustrating as I mostly need to write my own
> custom things, instead simply use an external lib - I have no time for
> this, guess why, because I can't find anyone to help me...
>
> As I've mentioned before, the day where all Moo has to be rewritten into
> something else is getting closer and closer. Actually I've started pushing
> a rewrite forward.
>
> If you really want to learn something new, pick up CoffeeScript and some
> small non-intrusive, highly-maintained library.
>
> Peace,
> Oskar
>
> On Aug 12, 2013, at 12:47 PM, Rich Lloyd
> <richtu...@googlemail.com<javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
> 'richtu...@googlemail.com');>>
> wrote:
>
> I've been using MooTools for the last few years now, love it, I've only
> just discovered and signed up to this group to read that MooTools will be
> no more.
>
> As an experienced developer, MooTools is perfect for the fluid interactive
> user interfaces I produce. Hate it that so many developers see the UI as a
> skin to the back end and resort to jQuery, I also hate seeing more and more
> of new era 'front end' developers (they all seem to use jQuery as if it's
> cool) who copy and past code to get things to work, it doesn't work, so
> they constantly ask for help, yet still charge a full day rate. (Sorry mini
> rant)
>
> My question is, what do we do?  People are saying the MooTools core will
> remain supported, but will it? What are the alternatives? I have just
> started a massive project and I'm at a fork in the road, do I stick with
> MooTools (which I've already started the project in), or do I start using a
> new more modern technology that will be supported in years to come?
>
> Been coding for over 20 years, I'm happy to pick up new technology and run
> with it, that's not a problem, but I want to know what's new that MooTools
> can't offer?

> [...]

Dimitar Christoff

"JavaScript is to JAVA what hamster is to ham"
@D_mitar - https://github.com/DimitarChristoff

--

---