This runs LONG -- so delete or save for another day.

-koose.

====

** Imitators have tried to bring down eBay, but it will maintain its dominance for years to come. When speaking of Google "chipping away," I was referring specifically to its efforts to replicate Paypal using its own software, not as a competing auction site. As it stands, the WSJ reports that on a per transaction basis, Google's planned on-line payment system will not compete effectively with Paypal.

** However, it does offer choice. It will be years before eBay will be brought down. As much as we talk about the logic of niche sellers, the greater body of online buyers still embrace the general store mentality of commerce, diverging into specialty areas only when pricing is more competitive, e.g., pet supplies, apparel, electronics and all manner of goods and services, even, as in the case of Amazon.com for the first time -- groceries.

** For example, for the most part, I no longer purchase DVDs from Amazon.com. The specialty online retailer, http://deepdiscountdvd.com beats nearly every competitor -- every time, with few exceptions. Its stock is not deep compared to Amazon.com's, however.

-------------

** Movieposterbid fulfills the eBay "alternative" -- but in fairness, the jury is out on whether a buyer can get a cheaper price -- competing against knowledgeable collectors -- vs. at eBay, where a buyer can go up against millions of novices not recognizing a steal that's staring 'em in the face. We already know MovieposterBid has a great advantage in condition descriptions, dealer integrity and in lower fees for sellers. But buyers don't care about fees unless THEY themselves have to pay 'em. They only care when they turn into part-time sellers of a stray poster.

** The concept of online retailers (and auction sites) specializing in niche goods and services represents a natural decentralization of commerce from the hands of a few to the hands of many -- an attempt to dilute the mega-store or mega-auction mentality -- taking a tiny slice of market share from eBay. But for eBay, these are just paper cuts over many years. To the extent economies of scale will allow, Deep Discount DVD.com remains my retailer of choice to beat Amazon -- and it's where I'll always go to purchase most of my DVDs. I won't go to eBay or anywhere else unless it's a title so esoteric or out of print that it requires purchasing from specialty retailers.

-------------

** I don't think there are very many areas of disagreement between JR and mysefl. Movieposterbid serves a niche, but smart buyers will always "comparison shop," as they would a car, esp. when it just takes a few clicks to enter what you want in any retailer's search engine. To this extent, the consumer should win on price (but may not win when it comes to reliability or condition) -- while sellers are faced with continually smaller margins.

** Personally, unless one has access to a steady pipeline of desirable, marketable and always in demand material (the Feiertags of the world) -- I do not know how some of you dealers put bread on your tables. It seems "most" of you (not all) -- must find it impossible to make a living without supplementary income. Some of you people have it nailed. But unless a new blood of collectors replenishes those who die off, how can one think in terms of "forever" or even "at least in my lifetime?" We've discussed previously why silent material or paper with only certain stars on certain titles will move after many decades have passed. So you have to keep reinventing yourself.

-------------

** Think back about the Hershenson model. Back in 1998, I wrote a near-book-length non-fiction article about him in MCW, covering every manner of controvery surrounding this man, who was believe it or not, far more polarizing 10 years ago than he is today. He was nearing the end of his auction house years at Christie's that came complete with preview showrooms. He bet everything on the Internet. He did not sell his own material except books with high quality poster images. He sold the inventories of others, minimizing risk -- in exchange, he would market like hell and offer buyers mountains of material with decent condition descriptions, no premiums and outrageously low starting bids. He is "brand" in our little hobby. His "overhead" is not in inventory -- it's in his warehouse, buildings, employees, salaries and packing systems. We tend to forget what a risk this seemed 10 years ago. It doesn't seem like that now, but it was.

-------------

** Now let me switch gears. Sue Heim is a beloved figure on these boards. Here is a woman who has every advanced degree on the planet. She has an awesome poster collection. She sells stray items here and there but she's really not into it in a big time way. She has multiples of some of the finest premium poster titles in the world locked in a vault. She goes into the entertainment industry instead, tries out a few things here and there in the production end of things -- but she finds herself learning about the craftsmanship of making high-quality frames. She voraciously learns everything about the subject.

** Today, her profit margins are slim per unit are slim, but her volume is so tremendous that it enables her to sell competitively without sacrificing quality to buyers. She reinvented herself many times and now this is what she does. She's great at many things, but her revenue stream is museum quality to economy quality frames. Nearly everybody on these boards is a customer and it's not hard to see why. She is generous with her knowledge because she knows there's a difference between having knowledge and skill. She's not afraid to impart knowledge because the reliability factor and peace of mind you get in return is worth more than gold. Because god knows, if I tried to use a metal saw to cut my own frames with precision, I'd be without a whole hand. The same with restorers.

-------------

** You guys can argue all you want about the $$ value merits of restored vs. unrestored, but for some people, there will always be a preference for restored even if it hurts value. Purists like things, fold lines showing and all, even chips, but others don't. For them, presentation is everything. If they do it with 18th century paintings at the Met in New York, it can be done with anything, esp. for truly rare items.

-------------

** And now I circle back -- the world is a better place with eBay, despite its faults, because it has become a tremendous information tool for consumers. Buyers must always beware of shady sellers -- (and so must sellers of shady buyers), but what a different world eBay has created for buyers.

** Presently, the real estate industry with which I work, is debating the merits of Zillow.com. Go visit it. It enables you to look up any address and get a very, very rough value of the market values of any home. It may never replace realtors, but it arms buyers and independent homeowners with more information than they had previously. It may become the Kelly Blue Book for homes, a guide, not a Bible -- if it gets better, more sophisticated, more accurate.

** eBay spent millions to build their software -- became a pioneer and survived the dot-com bust. I don't begrudge them gouging and raping and pillaging or whatever -- because users do not have a gun to their heads forcing them to using its site if they hate it. Perhaps eBay will hit a ceiling like AOL -- perhaps not. Being publicly held, again, cause pressure to "keep topping yourself." That's horrific and eventually a threshhold will be reached whereby sellers AND buyers will just flat out REFUSE. And that will be the day of reckoning, not ruin.

-------------

** AOL was brought down by competition -- but it took more than 15 years to bring 'em down to earth. Netflix was laughed at by the Blockbusters of the world and someday its "video" stores will a way to survive, or get gobbled up. Many Evil Retail Empires have fallen. Their carcasses are everywhere, e.g., Montgomery Ward, Robinson's/May, Woolworth's, many beloved institutions. Sears will likely be next. Gateway, Packard Bell, etc. And lookie here, Dell is still #1 in computer sales and you can't find too many of 'em in stores. The battle continues between competing DVD recording technologies. Someone is going to lose. Hewlett Packard got out of computers and stayed alive by sticking to printers, a field dominated by Xerox. It goes on and on.

-------------

** Finally, a personal note. Never has a Gilda Style B one-sheet poster from 1946 EVER been offered by an independent seller at eBay. It may have been offered by an auction house using eBay Live Auctions, but I doubt it. This is the prize of my collection. If I were an investor, I would've gone into horror, which seems to retain its value. But I'm a collector of movies and material I like. I see horror titles offered year after year and they still fetch great prices. But I don't see many Gilda Style Bs, even though we know many more MUST exist than any one-sheet from Dracula or Frankenstein. They seem to appear at major auction houses every 4 years or so. Mine is on linen and it's not perfect, but it'll be a long time before I see another without paper loss of any kind.

** People who know me know that I'm a Rita Hayworth nut. Perhaps less than 1/10th of 1% of today's population know or remember who she was, but her beauty is timeless; Marilyn Monroe is legendary, not Rita. But unless you were told in advance, if you looked at her famous pin-up photo in the August 1941 issue of Life Magazine, you'd have to guess what decade she had her greatest success. Where did I get it? At an auction house. Not at eBay. As Grey Smith proved, for premium material (like that odd Grand Hotel one-sheet that a few of you crapped on), there will always be room to compete against eBay. I still get a thrill looking at auction catalogs, even though it's been a while since I've won anything I can brag about.

** Think of a world without eBay or the Internet. We can't and it's a moot point. But if it were taken away, sellers would be using print ads again, sending out photocopied catalogues to mailing lists, competing for a finite number of people against other dealers.

** Yet we complain about eBay, because there seems no alternative reaching so many millions. But there are always alternatives if you want discerning buyers who hate eBay as much as you do as sellers. eBay earned its success.

** But for many, a line of morality was crossed long ago that feels greedy. Now you feel eBay must be punished. They are the oil companies of the Internet. Fine. I don't feel that way. Of course, I'm biased. I KNOW I'd feel differently if I were a seller accustomed to eBay's "glory years" (when it used to be called "Auction Web"). Well 1995-2000 were glory years for eBay buyers too. You've come to hate what you used to have because you now feel "locked in" as sellers.

** When I'm overseas, I see what people pay for a "liter" of gasoline or to mail a letter with a better than average record of success. To me -- notwithstanding the horrible prices for gasoline we're paying today -- the idea of paying 39 cents to have someone deliver a letter from California to New Jersey still seems like a miracle AND a bargain.

** So consider again the higher fees eBay is now "punishing" you to use its "stores." The innovators among you will find someway to compete or "workaround" eBay. And that "workaround" could likely be Movieposterbid. Run the numbers. Is there a model you can invent on your own that has never been tried? Moreover, how much risk can you assume?

** Thank goodness I don't have to face such issues -- all the more reason I admire all of you who keep doing this and are still surviving. This is why I have a day job that's not near as fun. I don't have that kind of courage.

-koose.