Koose - just interested - why do you think La Grande Illusion is overrated?

Tom
Kirby is right.  I can't think of a good Revolutionary War picture either.
 The benchmark for Civil War film greatness to me was "Glory" in 1989.
The WWI film, "All Quiet on the Western Front" feels dated but comports
itself well for 1930 though I think Grand Illusion is overrated.  But
there are many WWII films which are super, from "Best Years of Our Lives"
to the "Great Escape," to "Schindler's," to "Private Ryan," etc.

> By the way, the rest of you people in the other 49 states, please --
NEVER vote for anyone from Texas again, will ya?

Or anyone from the South, esp. Arkansas and Georgia!  Incredible -- but
with the exception of the JFK "blip" -- since 1945, EVERY Democrat who has
captured the White House has come from the South, i.e., Truman (Missouri),
LBJ (Texas), Carter (Georgia) and Clinton (Arkansas).  And JFK was the
last SENATOR from EITHER party to win the White House.  The South will
always matter.  Happy birthday, America, the country I love!

-koose.