From: MoPo List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2008 1:45 AM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Original Iron Giant question

Doug,

In answer to your question in this particular instance,  I am not sure there
would have been reprints considered  as the film was far from successful.
Ironically,  the adult advance was considered one of the numerous reasons
cited regarding the films marketing,  a failure as it was proven confusing
for a parent on the suitability of the film for children. This failure in
advance branding of the film was actually determined prior to film's release
hence a last minute switch in print campaigns that showed an
animation/family friendly look that also proved late.  I believe an
alternative onesheet was also issued at the last minute.    Being from WB,
they also did not have the arm's length list of licensees to align that
Disney and DreamWorks enjoy to assuage such a critical mistake in imaging.
Now look at the prices some collectors put on the poster.  On Ebay, anywhere
from $50  to $300.  It was always well received by the wrong target demo.

When I first saw the onesheet and still in exhibition at the time, I thought
it rocked.  Then as tracking numbers failed to pick up closer to opening we
knew the film was going to disappoint the Sunday prior to its Wednesday
opening and by the weekend following we knew it was going to be hell to hold
until Labor Day on anything but a split scheduled screen.  I don't think the
film grossed more than 5 million that opening 5 days if I recall.

At any rate this just doesn't bode well for a poster to have  a demand for
reprints in any kind of volume, especially to measure up to the quality of
printing the adult advances nevertheless enjoyed. They are quite fantastic.

freeman fisher
8601 west knoll drive #7
west hollywood, ca
90069

In a message dated 3/21/2008 9:45:59 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,