  From: Patrick Michael Tupy
  To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
  Sent: Monday, March 24, 2008 11:09 AM
  Subject: Re: [MOPO] OH, FIDDLE DEE DEE

  Kirby, the first time I saw GWTW was about 15 years ago at a Cinerama Dome
retrospective here in L.A..  Hearing so much about it, I'd expected it to be
overwhelmingly brooding, dark  and dramatic.  But to my surprise I found it
hilarious.  Now I don't know if through the years the nature of the film's
popularity has increased it as a treasure trove of campiness but I just
couldn't take Scarlett seriously with her attitude.  Am I in the vast minority
here?  Well, either way I enjoyed it's sweeping scope and great to see an old
Hollywood grand spectacle especially given the lore that surrounds the film.

  As an aside, a Producer friend out here in the San Fernando Valley lives in a
gorgeous area that houses massive mansions behind gates and it encompasses an
area once owned by Fred Astaire, and where Claudette Colbert lived as well, and
where Clark Gable had a ranch.  Someone who bought the land that still houses
his white barn with kelly green trim (four stalls with a lantern perched beside
each stall door, certainly quaint, by today's standards) wanted to tear it down
but the community nixed it.  Their property still houses this cool barn twenty
feet from the curb.  Too bad they couldn't have made it into a grand guest
house.

  Either way, I doubt Clark would have given a damn!

  All the best,

  Patrick