Well, as Kirby and I have been talking about this, there is clearly a generational or acting style issue, but I think his point was the most salient for me; I am not a fan of soap operas, divas or debutantes on a small or grand scale so the fault may lie with me as I didn't like DUEL IN THE SUN at all either. But then, I'm sure there are films that others might not find as a favorite that I might love. That's why we make so many of them. I do not abhor GWTW, it is staggering in it's scope and the score by Steiner is clearly one of the greatest of all time.

Patrick

On Mar 24, 2008, at 9:38 AM, lobby card invasion wrote:

I could think of many adjectives to describe GWTW, but "hilarious" would'nt be one of them.
Must be a generational thing.

Zeev

----- Original Message -----
From: Patrick Michael Tupy
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2008 11:09 AM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] OH, FIDDLE DEE DEE

Kirby, the first time I saw GWTW was about 15 years ago at a Cinerama Dome retrospective here in L.A.. Hearing so much about it, I'd expected it to be overwhelmingly brooding, dark and dramatic. But to my surprise I found it hilarious. Now I don't know if through the years the nature of the film's popularity has increased it as a treasure trove of campiness but I just couldn't take Scarlett seriously with her attitude. Am I in the vast minority here? Well, either way I enjoyed it's sweeping scope and great to see an old Hollywood grand spectacle especially given the lore that surrounds the film.

As an aside, a Producer friend out here in the San Fernando Valley lives in a gorgeous area that houses massive mansions behind gates and it encompasses an area once owned by Fred Astaire, and where Claudette Colbert lived as well, and where Clark Gable had a ranch. Someone who bought the land that still houses his white barn with kelly green trim (four stalls with a lantern perched beside each stall door, certainly quaint, by today's standards) wanted to tear it down but the community nixed it. Their property still houses this cool barn twenty feet from the curb. Too bad they couldn't have made it into a grand guest house.

Either way, I doubt Clark would have given a damn!

All the best,

Patrick

Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at www.filmfan.com______________________________________________________ _____________How to UNSUBSCRIBE from the MoPo Mailing ListSend a message addressed to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] the BODY of your message type: SIGNOFF MOPO-LThe author of this message is solely responsible for its content.