Hi from Joe B in NOLA

  I saw the same version in London in '72 or '73.  I didn't remember the
Scarlett's name but Presnel (very well cast) certainly was Rhett. The score was
by Harold Rome whose "Fanny" (no jokes, please!) was a musical-theatre hit in
the mid 1950s.  When it was filmed, it was turned into a straight drama with
the music as background score.
  I agree, Richard, that the musical GWTW was not good but it did have some
good theatrical moments-- e.g., the Burning and Escape from Atlanta complete
with horse-cart, turntables and shot Yankees.  The performances were good.
  It's just that the piece is too, TOO big for that kind of adaptation.

  Well-- Let's see if this new verson (not the same score or script) can be a
winner for the producers.  Hopefully it will be good, but..... that's a BIG
hope!!

  Joe

Richard Del Belso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
      .hmmessage P  {  margin:0px;  padding:0px  }  body.hmmessage  {
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;  FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma  }    Actually, the musical of GWTW has
been around sunce the 70's. I know it was done in Japan then...and I saw it in
London . I think it was in 1973; June Ritchie played Scarlett and Harve
Presnell played Rhett. It was God-awful. I don't remember who did the
score...but well, perhaps that's a blessing. I don't think there has been a US
production of the show.
I don't know if the new production being directed by Trevor Nunn is the same
version I saw in the '70s...all I can say is: I hope not.

  Richard Del Belso