But if that is the case, using the same logic, far more scams are done these days with fraudulent Money Orders (See Craigslist for scam alerts).

So that leaves PayPal. And if you feel safe using them, great. Unfortunately I cannot share that naivete due to what happened to me when I was purchasing a computer for $2,300 from a guy who had listed on Ebay and accepted payment through PayPal. I sent an E-Check by accident instead of what I usually do which is simply using my bank as a source. But then I was contacted by the Seller who told me his account had been frozen but it had never happened before and that he'd take care of it. I smelled a rat, and now was glad it was an e- check, so I contacted PayPal and asked if I should stop payment on the e-check. Though, by law, they could not tell me why his account was 'frozen,' they informed me in no uncertain terms that my money was utterly, absolutely and completely safe because before they would ever 'unfreeze' the Seller's account, he would have to prove that he had the item, prove that he'd shipped the item, and prove that I'd received the item. Well, that's a great system, I thought, so I believed them and I let the payment go through.

Big mistake.

No computer came and there was zero contact from the Seller. I contacted PayPal who informed me that I needed to file a claim and wait ten days which I did. After ten days I was informed that I had 'won' the claim but they were sorry to inform me that there was no longer any money left in the Seller's account to refund to me. So I'm screaming at them that I would have stopped payment but for their assurances, and now it appears to me that they just allowed my money to come through in order to pay back other earlier claims against this guy (maybe that's why his account was frozen?!!!) OR they actually released my money to him without following the guidelines which they used to assure me that my money was safe. When I told them that I didn't stop payment due to their assurances, they grew very quiet and said, well, that representative wasn't supposed to tell you that!!!

Well folks, PayPal may be Ebay's Baby, but safe is the last thing you are when you deal with them. They have a clause that we all agree to when using them that states if you want to sue them, it must be in Santa Clara county in Northern California. Well, just so you know, that's been challenged and deemed unconscionable law (I mean, what's someone in FL or NY supposed to do?!) The problem is that they still pull the contract out, don't even show up in whatever court you are suing them in and refer to the contract until the Judge reads the earlier decisions. So I contact them and they have completely lost all sympathy and stopped all efforts to get my money back to me. Instead, they have shifted into self-protection mode. They told me I had to file a police report so I called my local Police Department and spoke to the officer in charge of internet fraud. He informed me that they had top people on such cases at PayPal but I would have to file my police report in the town where the Seller lived (Cleveland). Long story short, this has been over two years ago and I've never received a penny, nickel or dime back of my $2,300. As far as I'm concerned, PayPal is as much or more at fault than the Seller for encouraging me to continue payment to this fraudulent Seller. PayPal still says I have "open issues" on my account as if they are making any effort at all to rectify the situation.

So, Jeff, as far as Western Union or Money Orders being too unsafe for Ebay, perhaps we need all be aware that Ebay should clean up their own backyard. You ARE NOT safe using PayPal, regardless of what they say...period. If at all possible, learn from my experience.

I just wonder how many others have fallen victim to PayPal's ineptitude or predatory practices.

Patrick