  From: Kirby McDaniel
  To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
  Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 10:58 AM
  Subject: Re: [MOPO] Tony, pass me my toga!

  Snails, dear, snails.  You need to, uh, BONE UP on your SPARTACUS.

  [EMAIL PROTECTED] .

  On May 28, 2008, at 7:45 PM, Phil Edwards wrote:

    Yes, it's got me all SPARTACIFIED up to watch it again.

    Of course a viewing must be accompanied by a good meal of prawns and
oysters, and a fine Italian (or Thracian) wine.

    Pretty interesting how Kirk Douglas flew in the face of 1960 Hollywood and
gave Dalton Trumbo screenplay credit (the same year Preminger hired him to
script EXODUS also under his own name and not the fronts he'd used for years
after HUAC).

    Part of Ring Lardner Jnr's eulogy for Trumbo is worth repeating here.
    "At rare intervals, there appears among us a person whose virtues are so
manifest to all, who has such a capacity for relating to every sort of human
being, who so subordinates his own ego drive to the concerns of others, who
lives his whole life in such harmony with the surrounding community that he is
revered and loved by everyone with whom he comes in contact. Such a man Dalton
Trumbo was not."