Tom,

I have to say that anyone making a trip to Paris owes it to themselves and their families to take a day or two to visit the historical sites of the Normandy where the very freedom of the world was at stake and the tide turned against the Nazi juggernaut. It is a two hour train from St. Lazare station in Paris to Caen in Normandy. Then renting a car is best in order to provide maximum flexibility. Basing in the town of Bayeux is most central to the battlefields and cemeteries of Utah & Omaha, making it an easy visit to the magnificent memorial at Omaha Beach as well as the strange but poignant German Cemetery which stands in stark design and contrast to that of the Americans. The complexity of the battles is astounding and the stories could fill libraries and movie screens for centuries. They revere us in Normandy, and we seem to have lost that sense of ourselves as having done so many things so well for the world as we divide ourselves with political concerns these days. But in Normandy, I found that their appreciation for the sacrifices that the United States made to set them free made me stand up a little taller and appreciate even more those who came before us. After a visit, one is reminded that freedom is not given but won by wanting it so desperately that you're willing to fight and die for it. The multitude of memorials to the U.S. are omnipresent, quite touching and inspiring. At the church in Ste. Mere Eglise the stained glass windows actually depict the Virgin Mary with U.S. paratroopers descending all
about her:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Image:Ste_Mere_Eglise_Paratroopers_from_Heaven.jpg

Not to mention the quaint towns that you can almost literally stumble upon that often appear as if the Seven Dwarfs reside there. The food is fantastic and I'm pretty sure now that the wine comes from the tap as it flows so easily. And don't get me started on the pastries...

If you plan a trip and need any info I would be happy to provide any that I've gained. And I think Jim Dietz would likely know a lot about the region as well. I'll keep the list
posted regarding the progress of the film.

Patrick